Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

North Carolina Style Sauce

ChefFubar
ChefFubar Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got myself addicted to Scott's Barbque Sauce, from Goldsboro, NC. There are no suppliers here in Houston, and shipping case quantities drives the price to more than double.
Does anyone have a receipe for a close match? The sauce is vinegar based, with a red tint; pepper flakes, tomatoes,?? Great with pork shoulder and loin. Thanks!!

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Chef Fubar, look for Tony Roma's N/C BBQ sauce in the markets try safeway I can get it here in socal, its a great thick sauce

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Chef Fubar,[p]Here are two to consider:[p]2 shallots (minced)
    1 cup of tomato puree
    1 cup seeded, peeled, chopped tomatoes
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    Chili powder to taste[p]In a medium size sauce pan, combine all ingredients. Cook over a medium low heat for about 15 minutes. I f a smoother sauce is desired, place in a blender or food processor. Adjust seaoning as you like.[p]
    and [p]
    1 28-ounce can tomato puree
    1/3 cup yellow mustard
    3 cups water
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1/4 cup dark corn syrup
    2 Tbs lemon juice
    1 Tbs sugar
    1 Tbs brown sugar, packed
    2 Tbs chili powder
    1 Tbs dry mustard
    1 Tbs paprika
    2 tsp ground red pepper
    2 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder [p]In a large saucepan, whisk together tomato puree and mustard until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm. Sauce may be refrigerated for several weeks. [p]

• Chef Fubar,
    Check the web site at Jurrasic Pork, they have several receipes for eastern (vinegar-based)sauce. Several are close to the Scott's taste. Spent 7 years under a Carolina blue sky, so I'm familiar with the their product.

• Chef Fubar,[p]I just read the reviews on their web-site and the sauce sounds good -- I just ordered two bottles to give it a try!
  • TACH18K,[p]If's it's THICK, it IS NOT NC sauce!!![p]Thick is for beef, not pork. And since BBQ is Pork, that's about settles it.
  • Tony,
    Good choice! The first time I ordered it, I ordered 2 bottles. The next time I ordered 6. It's priced right, so even adding the shipping doesn't price it any worse than a lot of the stuff in your local grocery store.[p]It is a great sauce. Nice zip, good flavor, and it really works nice. I use it on ribs and butts as a mopp, or after I have pulled the pork, I will mix some in to ratchet up the flavor.[p]Mike in MN

• JavaBen,
    The sauce is water thin. Red in color, Flavor has a real nice bite, just a little heat, good "afterglow." [p]Makes my mouth water thinking about it.[p]I read about it here on the forum, and had to try it....now I keep it on hand at all times. :>[p]Mike in MN

• Chef Fubar, this is what i found online:[p]NORTH CAROLINA STYLE BARBECUE SAUCE
    1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
    2 cups apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons freshly-ground black pepper
    1 cup catsup
    2 cups water
    Tabasco® sauce[p]In a heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 15 minutes. Pour into pint jars and refrigerate until ready to use.
    ================================================
    CAROLINA STYLE BBQ SAUCE[p]Posted by BETTYBOOP50 at recipegoldmine.com May 15, 2001[p]Barbecue sauce without tomatoes! Try this change of pace sauce with grilled chicken or pork.[p]Makes about 1 1/2 cups[p]1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup yellow mustard (prepared)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    Dash Tabasco sauce
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon butter[p]In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, mustard, sugar, water, chili powder, pepper, and Tabasco. Simmer for 25 minutes.[p]Add the soy and butter and simmer for 5 minutes longer.[p]Use as you would any barbecue sauce.

• Chef Fubar,[p]Hey, aren't you a chemist? Should be easy to break it down and reverse-engineer the sauce ;) Otherwise, order a couple cases of the 128 oz size. More economical, should quench your addiction.[p]MM

• TACH18K,[p]Dang - reread my earlier post - sounded way-too-serious. Meant to add some ;-) faces.[p]Oh well, hope you realized it was tongue in cheek! (Except for the beef isn't BBQ statement! ;-)

• Chef Fubar,
    Scott's BBQ Sauce has not Ketsup.[p]bill