Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip perfection

Options
a stick
a stick Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked a 2.7 lb. tri-tip for 3 hours at 250. Internal temp was 150 off the smoker, 160 after 45 minutes of rest. Slathered it with mustard and Dizzy Dust-ed it pretty heavy. Also brined a 4.5 lb chicken, set it on a Coors Light can, and raised the temp to 300 for its last 30 minutes. It was on with the tri at 250 for the first 3 hours. [p]If you haven't done a tri-tip, get one. The grain changes like a brisket so pay attention to slicing. Its pretty lean too. It has a fat cap that my butcher trimmed to a quarter-inch.[p]Smoked them with 4 chunks of sasafrass, 1 in the middle and 3 on the outside. The outside ones only partly burned. A know-it-all at a local BBQ store in in Kansas City said only to use it on pork or ribs. More faith was lost when he pushed hard to sell me more rub after I told him Dizzy Pig is all I need.

Comments

• Prof Dan
    Options
    astick,[p]It really gained 10 degrees in temp over a 45 minute period after coming off the grill?? That is very cool, if I understood you correctly. [p]Just out of curiosity, why did you let it rest for 45 min? And did you wrap it in foil during the resting time?[p]Thanks!!

• a stick
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]You got it. I set the tri-tip in an aluminum pan and sealed it with foil. Then I put it in a paper bag. While resting, the temp continued to rise. I'm betting it went from medium rare to medium over that time.[p]My reasons for the long rest were two-fold: 1) the chicken was not done cooking yet on the BGE, and 2) by letting the meat rest it will redistribute the meat's juice from the middle to the outer sides. Supposedly less runs out during carving and the slices stay more moist.[p] p>Had leftovers today, jealous co-workers want to tailgate now.[p]astick

• Prof Dan
    Options
    astick,[p]Thanks! I will give this a try!