Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Below 200 cooking-hope this helps.

Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After seeing many posts about not being able to keep BGE on a low cook of less than 200 for beef jerky, I took carefull notes today.
I lit the used lump from last nights steaks at 10 am. I opened both vents for about 10 minutes. Temp was at 300. I added more lump and soaked woods chips. Temp came down instantly to 125.
About 10 minutes later it was 160.
I closed both vents where you could only get a quarter threw the openings. Left for 3 hours and came back to see the BGE at 190. I left again came back an hour later to find at 210. Closed the vents up all together and 30 minutes later opened to the quarter size opening.
We are entering the 7 hour and no temp being over 210, and most of the time 175-190.
River City Jerky is on now.
Hi Mountain will be put on tommorrow.[p]
CWM

Comments

• Car Wash Mike,[p]CWM - most of the time the difficulty in keeping the temperature low is because of air leaking into the egg from places you aren't expecting. In particular, the top exhaust control leaks like a sieve, (the big black one with the rotating head) is pretty bad for low temps - I never use it anymore; I just put a small piece of flat metal up there, and adjust for a small gap - no more issues. This leak at the top will indeed flow down to the fire and heat it up.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    JavaBen,
    it has been getting more difficult for me to control the low temp cook over the last year. i have been wondering why for this should be getting easier. i have never cleaned the daisy wheel and with all the caked on grunge, it probably leaks more than it used to. maybe i will clean it and cook the jerkey this weekend. if that doesnt work ill try the flat plate up top.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it