Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Mold and Mildew Build-up

I recently went to use my egg and found the inside completely engulfed in a mold/fungus. I last used the egg about one month ago. I had take the entire egg apart and clean it. The mold involved the walls between the fire ring and was also in the ash box. Has anyone else experienced this? If so what do you feel the cause is? How should I clean the egg? How should I prevent this from happening again? The weather here in the Northeast has been unusually warm, muggy, and humid. The last flavored wood I used was apple. A few of the pieces may have had the bark still on them. I would appreciate any advice/info.


  • Robert A. Durako,[p]I believe it was a combination of inactivity and warm humid weather. [p]Did you try burning it off with a nice 800 degree fire?[p]
  • BoccieBoccie Posts: 186
    Robert A. Durako,[p]Warm and muggy are great atmospheres for mold growth in the egg. It happens to many of us. The best way to prevent it is to use the egg more often to burn it clean. However once you get the mold in it simply scrape out the obvious mold and do a high temp burn. When this happened to my small I opened the lower vent wide and top vent open, then allow the burn to peg the thermometer. I just let the coals burn out. When it was finished the egg was good and clean.
  • Robert A. Durako,
    happens to my small fairly often as i don't use it as much as my large. . .i just fire it up, and let it burn. .. kind of like the way stumpbaby removes the hair from his butt (or so i'm told). . .in fact, when my egg gets moldy and its time for a cleaning, i simply refer to it as "hey, the stump needs a smooth butt again". . .. LOL

  • Robert A. Durako,
    I have the same problem. My egg is the old type and made out if clay. I can't bring the temp up that high or it will crack. I think I will do like boccie said in the other reply and scrape out the main mold and do a burn as hot as my egg will take it and get a new cover for it. Good luck!

  • ZipZip Posts: 372
    Robert A. Durako,[p]You have received some good information and I'll add this. When I get finished cooking, I let the temp get up to 400º if it is not already there and cook for about 15 minutes without any top like a daisy/slide. I then shut it down by closing the bottom vent and leave the top off for another 15-20 minutes, then put on the ceramic top to completly shut down the fire. I only worry about this when I know it will be a while between cooks on that particular cooker. It is also a good idea to cover the cooker with something to keep water from wicking in via the gasket. [p]HTH,

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.