Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who here is happy they bought a Medium BGE?

Options
Zeke013
Zeke013 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggers!

This is my first post.

I am in the market for a BGE - but am looking to get something to supplement my gas grill. The vast majority of cooking I do on that currently is burgers and steaks. I'll probably continue to use it for that. I am looking to add a smoker/slow cooker for ribs and pork. I am looking strongly at the medium size BGE so as to keep my small deck from being overloaded with large appliances.

It's me, my wife and our son at home - and I don't often entertain more than an additional 4 to 6 people.

Anyone here bought a medium BGE under similar circumstances? Do you feel you got the right size? Wish you'd gone larger?

Thanks in advance.

Zeke

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'm willing to bet you'll change your mind on that gasser. Once you have a steak or some burgers off e BGE you'll not turn back to the gasser.

The large doesn't have that much larger a footprint than the medium, so if size is your concern then go with the large. I have a large and a medium and they both cook equally.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You won't want to ever turn that thing on again. An egg will make burgers and steaks that many fine restaurants would love to serve. Get a large and don't look back. I've never had a gasser, but I here they make great egg tool storage systems. :laugh:
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    Zeke,
    Prepare to give away your gas grill. I gave mine away to the guy who helped us load the large into the table my daddy made me for Christmas. I have not used the inside of the house to cook a meal since I bought the BGE-a large-in July 2008. Oh, and it is just my husband and me most of the time. Get the large...ENJOY!
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I'm glad that I bought my medium. It worked well for my wife and two kids. And it started me on my path to acquiring a mini, a large, an XL and ditching my old gasser. You won't go wrong with it but I bet within a year, you're no longer using your gasser and have acquired another BGE.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    First I would like to welcome you to the forum :cheer: :) I got my first egg(a medium)5yrs ago.It was just three of us,me wifey and 1 yr old son,and we didn't entertain much.Within 6 months,I added a small egg,for side dishes,and/or different smoke flavors.Now,5 yrs later,it's still just the three of us(but the kid eats more :P ),and we have two more eggs,we added an XL(a year and a half ago)and a mini(last September):woohoo: BTW,when I got my medium,I never used my gasser again.Once you have those burgers and steaks on an egg,you'll see what I mean :woohoo: :)
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    forget the gasser,
    I have a med and I like it but I wish I would have gotten the large just for the grid size
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.(Grill space)that is.Get a LARGE! ;)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    You have all but a large? I wonder how many others in the world can say that.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Wise One,

Knowing what you know, if you were going to get one egg only, which would you get the large or medium?

GG
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Yea,I'm not really big on "going with the flow" :lol: :silly: :ohmy: I'll have a large someday,but I'll need a good divorce lawyer first(or shortly after) ;) :laugh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Get rid of the gasser and buy a large.

You won't use that gasser much after getting an egg anyway so it will be just taking up room..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I will help you get a large if I can have the deck in the proceedings. :)

Same question I asked Wise One. If you were doing it all over and thinking you would get only one egg, knowing what you know now, which egg would you get?

Kent
  • NC Egg Man
    NC Egg Man Posts: 22
    Options
    Go for the large. extra space is nice for the ribs, etc that you describe. I have a gasser side x side with my LGBE. Gasser gets used solely for hot dogs or something really really really quick where taste does not matter
  • MichiganEgg
    Options
    I bought a medium in May and absolutely love it. For my wife & me, it’s more than large enough. When the kids are visiting, add another 4 and we’ve still done brats and burgers with no problem. I looked real hard at the large before I bought the medium but have no regrets. The dealer told me that if I ever wanted to part with the medium, a few phone calls is all it would take.

I’ve already been thinking about a second one. Not for the space but for different temps and smoke etc.

And as everyone else has said, after using a BGE, you’ll dump the gas grill. Seriously, I’ve cooked on gas grills for 30 years. You couldn’t me give a gas grill today.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. You will love your new egg.

From your stated needs a medium will work fine. The footprint isn't much different than a large. The large has more options and capability.

You may not believe it now, but you will probably use the gas grill little or if all and you will likely end up with more than one egg.

If the money difference between the medium and large isn't an issue, I would recommend a large.

GG
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    Hey Kent,that guestion deserves a new post ;) But I would have to say XL,just for the space(or large/with adj. rig),but I would really want another,and another :P I would hate to have to fire up the XL for a couple filets :ohmy: :P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If/when you get your second egg what size will it be? And doing it all over again, knowing what you know, what size would you get, thinking you would only get one egg?

GG
  • Zeke013
    Zeke013 Posts: 11
    Options
    Everyone here's telling me to dump the gasser.

Is the egg really as convenient? I realize the trade off may be worth it for the extra flavor. But can it really go from 0 to 60 in about 10 minutes and then get shut off easily?

I don't know why, but I picture the egg as a larger time commitment.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I have a large and a medium at two different houses.

The medium can do about 75% of the large but there are things that the medium just cant do that the large can.

You can not make a bad decision but I think that if you get a medium you will be looking for a large within 6 months. If you buy the large I don't think that you will be looking for a medium.
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    you will sear one steak on that egg and be hooked forever.

my weber genesis gasser never let me down - as gassers go it did a damned good job. Its sitting in the corner collecting dust under its cover. It's sad really, i loved that weber.

I would say get a large, as others have said before me, you will ditch the gasser soon enough.

my egg does EVERYTHING better than anything i've ever owned.
    1) It smokes better, it low and slows better
    2) it makes the best pizzas on earth (i'll put my pulled pork and cheddar pizza up against any boutique pizza restaurant)
    3) it grills better (chicken is always moist, never dry)
    4) it sears steaks and burgers like nothing else.
  • 407BGE
    Options

The medium can do about 75% of the large but there are things that the medium just cant do that the large can.

You can not make a bad decision but I think that if you get a medium you will be looking for a large within 6 months. If you buy the large I don't think that you will be looking for a medium.
  • 407BGE
    Options

• CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    Zeke013 wrote:
    Everyone here's telling me to dump the gasser.

Is the egg really as convenient? I realize the trade off may be worth it for the extra flavor. But can it really go from 0 to 60 in about 10 minutes and then get shut off easily?

it really is just that easy. i started the grill with a MAPP torch, put the platesetter and pizza stone in, and was at 450* in about 8 minutes. I waited another 10 minutes to let the stone heat up, and away I went.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I was wondering if you would say XL. I really like some of those cooks you have shown especially with the different 'stuff' you use in the cook.

I would love to put a skillet in the egg along with some other food.

Would the lump reducer solve the concern about lighting up for a couple of fillets?

If/when things turn around I am seriously thinking of selling my medium and small and large or an XL.

That would leave me with a large, large or xl and a mini.

Kent
  • NC Egg Man
    NC Egg Man Posts: 22
    Options
    Captain Jimmy speaks the gospel. I also have the Weber gasser.

I totally agree that the egg is the best grill/smoker I haver ever owned. That said, prepping and firing is a labor of love and satisfaction ... if that makes sense.

It is not as convenient or as quick as opening the valve and pressing the igniter. Thus why I keep my gasser for something really quick.
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I don't think that you could get the XL to 600+ degrees with the lump reducer :whistle: But I've been wrong once before :P I just said the XL,because of the skillet thing :cheer: ,and I love my ribs cooked flat(instead of a v-rack),and whole.I hated cutting my ribs to fit them in the medium :pinch:
  • "Sparky"
    Options
    I didn't say to dump the gasser,that's just what I did :) I never used it again,really.Keep the propane bottle though,it's great for this :woohoo:

DSC_0012-2.jpg

This is how to get your egg hot........fast,If you're in a hurry :P +It's kinda fun :whistle:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you aren't going to cook the way you used to....

if you are like the rest of us, you'll prefer to start the egg, then go inside and prep while it heats up. ...rather than prep the food and then go outside to start the grill. same amount of time really
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I sold my gasser shortly after getting my large. Now I wish I'd kept it, I'm running out of space to store all my cool gadgets. That gas grill made a great storage compartment!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Zeke013,

I didn't read all the other replies but you won't be using your gasser anymore after you get an egg but for eggcessories storage. Get the large.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON