Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a good wing recipe.

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please, I could use a good wing recipe.

Thank you.

Gary

Comments

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    Do you want to sauce them or just cook them on the Egg and eat?
  • EGGARY
    Options
    both, if possible.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Plain wings or Hot wings? :huh:
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    In that case I usually just put my wings on the Egg naked, nothing at all seasoning wise, as I think it gets covered in the sauce. I like a very light dusting of cornstarch to crisp them up. I don't have to get the heat up so high that way and I can really use several levels to put wings on without fear of burning. If you do want them hotter, Dizzy Pig's Jamaican Firewalk is a good way to go.

My favorite wing sauce is Franks. I get it at Sam's by the gallon. I follow their wing mixture using butter right on the container.

I know that this is simple, but I've done this over and over and have had rave reviews every time. Maybe some day I'll do something different but for now I like 'em!!

Oh, don't forget the blue cheese!!
  • EGGARY
    Options
    Thoughts on Georgia HOt Wings ?
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Gary,

We like our wings unbreaded and crisp, so what I do is buy the whole wings, cut then into the two parts, discarding the wing tip. Season with S&P or DP Shaking the Tree.

I cook then direct on a raised grid at about 400* dome temp. Can't do double decker that way, since that would have to be indirect, but can cook 24 wing pieces on the large grid. Cooked them, turning once until they were about 200* internal.
    Then I dipped them in Carnivore Robust sauce (or Frank's Hot Wing Sauce) and put them back on the grid for about 3-4 minutes to "fix" the sauce.

The "Princess"(wife) says they are the best wings she has ever eaten and, hey, who else counts? :evil:
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    A second vote for Frank's!!!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Don Marco posted not long ago a recepie that had HABERNARO powder.A friend made em and they were HOT!I would cut the HAB powder in half especially if ladies are present.Search Don Marco for the recepie. ;)
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    The Georgia Red Wings are really good. They are not really hot but have a nice hint of heat. I have probably cooked these 20 times and each time they go fast. I like the fact that they are not dripping with sauce so you can eat 5 or so without creating a real mess. LOL
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Here is my favorite method. You can adjust the seasonings/sauce to you liking. I often do 2 batches, one for me and the wife with hot sauce and a batch for the kids with either lemon pepper or teriyaki.

Marinated Hot Wings
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Gary,

I've done Buffalo style wings a couple of different ways, and this is my favorite so far. I like them really hot, and came up with this method to approximate something we used to get from our college wing joint. These come out really good. You could tone down the peppers if you like them less spicy.

Note that I do use a spice rub, unlike some of the other suggestions. I've tried both ways, and asked guests at parties to comment - the spice rub seems to add another level of complexity to the flavor of the finished wing. I cook indirect at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, with smoke. This crisps the outsides pretty well, leaves them really juicy, and the smoke flavor combined with the wing sauce is something you just can't get in a restaurant.

http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/02/recipe-spicy-grilled-buffalo-wings-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

6a00e5502e1c01883401116846a521970c-800wi

Enjoy!

-John
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Options
    Did someone say "wings" ??? :woohoo:

First, I should say that we like em "crisp". I don't use "whole" wings, just the "drumsticks" and the middle joint.

On the egg, indirect heat (with drip pan) at about 400-425. I give em about 50 minutes.

Here's two of my favourites recipes:

Hot wings: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Prior to cooking, sprinkle granulated garlic (not powder, and definitely NOT garlic salt), paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper over the wings (you can also just put the spices in a bag and toss em).
    Bake up up as above, then toss them in your favourite hot sauce. I use franks and a healthy dose of tabasco. Serve (of course) with blue cheese dip.

"GAR-PAR" wings: (people just love these lil puppies!)
    Bake the wings as above - with NO seasoning. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero.
    Toss them with your favourite caesar salad dressing (we have "Renees Mighty Garlic), and a good sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese. (For 20 wings, I find 1-2 tablespoons of dressing / cheese works well - but tinker to your taste.

And now... back to our show! :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Actually, we preferred the Carnivore Robust better than the Frank's. Just personal preference. The Carnivore seems to have more complexity of flavors, while the Frank's was just Hot - more like Tabasco is hot, but not flavorful.

We were in Buffalo Wild Wings last week and I bought a bottle of their Mango-Habanero sauce and one of their Garlic-Parmesian sauce - our favorites of their sauces. Can't wait to try them on Egged wings. I tried unsuccessfully to find copies of these sauces on the Internet, but they keep tose recipes pretty tight! :angry:
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Yes, I like their garlic sauce. It has a nice kick to it. Funny how people's tastes are different. I think Frank's has a wealth of flavor, not just heat. After I put the butter in it I could eat it with a spoon!! Sigh....I'm hungry.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Adding butter sounds like a nice addition!

The thing about using the Carnivore Robust is after using Shaking the Tree on the wings, you get the lemony taste from that, the initial sweet taste from the Carnivore, then the heat!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    Someone here on the forum has a killer recipe for lemon-pepper wings. We tried them a few months ago and they were outstanding. He used a par-braising technique which probably isn't necessary, the rest of the recipe was basically sprinkle with lemon pepper and hot sauce and cook, sprinkling with more lemon pepper while they're on the egg. Maybe someone can help out with a link?

The nice thing about wings is that you can easily make a few different styles in the same cook...something for everyone.
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Where do you get the Carnivore?
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    "Big'un" on here makes it (Georgia). He makes the Robust (original), a Chipotle (hotter) and recently a 'Sweet'.

It is best to order a case, as the shipping charge is a little steep for individual bottles. My wife thinks the Robust is the best BBQ sauce she has ever had. :)

The first time, I ordered a case and either sold bottles to fellow eggers or gave some away as gifts. Have ordered a second case since then and "keeping it all to myself". :woohoo:

www.carnivorebbq.com

Enjoy !
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Hey Ron. My next door neighbor has a big orange "Gators" flag flying on his back porch. :(

Can you come over and 'take care of him' for me??? LOL :evil:
  • Fidel
    Options
    You must be referring to TRex's lemon pepper hot wings:

http://houseoffaulkner.com/wings.html
  • FSUScotsman
    Options
    Look, there is no accounting for taste!! I may live in Tallahassee but there are enough of those things that I get a stomach ache some days. Orange and blue together just make it churn!!! :sick:

Thanks for the link!!!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    Yup, those are them! Thanks for the link, Fidel. Dang, now I'll have to try them again. They were gooooooood.
  • ArchDeluxe
    ArchDeluxe Posts: 31
    Options
    Fidel, do you know how long these are on the grill? I'm assuming around an hour total. Thanks. ;)
  • Fidel
    Options
    Roughly 50-60 minutes.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Here's how I cook them.2 sticks butter,6oz vineger,1 bottle Frank's sauce.Par boil on the egg at 350 for 45 min-remove,and then dust heavr with Dry Ranch Dressing.Back on the Egg (All the cooking is done raised grid-indirect)Aprox 45-min or until crispy.You can sauce again(I prefer not to.)Did 10lbs on friday for kids and their friends,only bones and smiles left.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE