Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

odorless lighter fluid?

Options
Mikeycigar
Mikeycigar Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know that you should not use lighter fluid to start your egg, but as a novice, can I use odorless lighter fluid?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Most will say no lighter fluid. You can do some testing on your own to see if you like it.

You can use 91% alcohol.

GG
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Please don't...it may be odorless but is it tasteless???

Take several sheets of paper towel. Wrap them individually tight in the middle. Put cooking on oil lightly in the middle of the PT and put them in the lump charcoal and light...just no lighter fluid ok???
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Mikey,

Welcome. You can do anything you want. The question is why would you? Lighter fluid won't hurt your Egg, but it will give off chemicals that can impart a taste to your food, and may be bad for you.

Lighting the Egg is really easy. There are a bunch of different methods people use. I generally use a MAPP gas torch for convenience. However, this weekend I traveled with my Egg and forgot my torch. To start it, I reverted back to the method I used when I first got it... tear off the side of the charcoal bag, crumple it into a fist-sized ball, and half bury it in the center of the lump. Light it in a couple of places with a match, and you're good.

My $.02.

-John
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    91% alcohol works like a charm and doesn't leave any taste at all. Hmmmmm....I guess I could use grain alcohol!!
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Like the others, I suggest NOT using any kind of lighter fluid.

I use an inexpensive electric coil starter ($9.95 at Lowes) for most cooks. For long, slow cooks, I want the lump to burn from the top down, so I use the napkin/paper towel technique described above - starting it in 3 different places to reduce the risk of a central burn.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Here ya go... The clean & 'ouchless' (no sparking) way to begin a great cook. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U&feature=related

Enjoy!! 8 - )
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Approximately how much 91% alcohol do you use prior to lighting? I was thinking of trying this technique but wonder if it's not more expensive than the oil/paper towel method (depending on the oil you use, I suppose) if you need to use a lot of alcohol. Do you spread it around the lump or concentrate it on one area to light and let the fire spread from there?

I'd been using MAPP for years (fast and surprisingly cheap since the bottle lasted forever) and stopped now that I have a curious toddler. Been using starter cubes but looking for something cheaper once the last box runs out.
  • Unknown
    Options
    kinda leary of taking lighting advice from a big GOLD egg. :laugh:
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I used starter cubes because I bought a boatload when BBQ Galores was going out of business. Since then I use two "select a size" paper towels rolled with the oldest oil in the pantry. I get a nice blaze going in about 5 minutes. (althought I get some fingers dirty and take about 30 seconds to create a little tunnel over the paper towels)
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Alcohol is more expensive than MAPP, oil / paper towel and other methods.

The online video calls for 80ml (abt. 2 oz) per start. A lot of times at my altitude I need to use 4 oz.

A quart of 91% alcohol at Walmart here costs about $2.30 plus tax.

If my fingers and toes are working correctly, using 2 oz. that is 16 starts or about 15¢ per start. If I use 4 oz then 30° per start.

Using 4 oz. can give some interesting starts if one isn't careful.

Alcohol is quick and easy to use thought.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Starter cubes are easy but I don't like the odor and the left over binder material just smoldering in the cook. If I do use cubes I pull out the remainder of the cube(s) char after the lump is going.

Cubes are an easy way to light.

GG
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Hang on... I've gotta grab a beer & some popcorn! 8 - )
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Now that I've been using paper towels and oil for a few months, it's just too easy. Can't see why I'd change.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I buy the fireplace starters that are about the size of a brick except only about an inch thick. They're pretty much made out of wood particles and parafin. I just break off small pieces and place how many and where I want them. They're cheap and I get no aftertaste.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    If you want to save money, pick up a self start fireplace log. Lasts forever, if one is a starter cube user.

GG
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    i use a MAPP torch to light in 3 places, or I use the BGE electric coil starter (i suppose a lowes cheapie would work just as good) if my torch is being finnicky (i left it out in the thunderstorm the other day and it was cranky to light).

If either of those don't work i just douse a paper towel in some veggie oil.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I have and once in a great while use MAPP. MAPP is probably one of the least expensive ways to light the lump, if you don't take into account all the burnt shirts. :laugh:

As far as speed and getting to stabilized temperature, I think oil/paper towel is the fastest, then alcohol followed by MAPP.

Without question the weed burner is the fastest way to get an egg going. Light and at temperature in 1 to 2 minutes.

GG