Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket - Mixed Results

Options
4Runner
4Runner Posts: 2,948
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first brisket this weekend with mixed results. Maybe someone has some thoughts on what I did wrong or could do differently.

The good part was it tasted good and the family enjoyed it. Good smoke and the dizzy dust was just spicy enough. Kids don’t like it too spicy.

The bad part, and my family didn’t care, it was dry. Also, I realize now I do not know how to slice a brisket…I murdered it trying to remove the fat cap like someone posted on uTube. That is another story.

Details
11# choice brisket for my local butcher. He said it was trimmed nicely…not too much fat but not too little. This was my first so I took his word for it.
Injected with some beef broth, soup base, olive oil.
Rubbed with DD coarse
Indirect setup
Smoked fat side down at 225 for approx 12 hrs and then finished at 250 for the last 3 for a total of 15hrs.
Pulled with an internal temp of 190 (used a Stoker and also and Theramopen to verify temps at the end)
Wrapped with cling wrap, foil and newspaper and put in cooler for approx 3 hours.

I murdered it trying to cut off extra fat. I then ditched that and started slicing against the grain. Wasn’t tough, but thought it could have been more tender and certainly more juicy. Again, taste was good and we are having leftovers today.

Any thoughts on what happened or what I should try next time? My goal on the next one would be to focus on tenderness and juiciness. Thanks for any input.
Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat

Comments

• cmoore1128
    Options
    I did the exact same thing when I smoked my first brisket, and it turned out dry. Try smoking it with the fatty side up. That way all the juices from the fat will run down into the meat and prevent it from drying out. Makes a huge difference.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    4Runner,

See my reply to tach18k above. I don't use cling wrap before foiling. I only cling wrap, I assume that is plastic wrap, after I use French's mustard and my DP Dizzy Dust and back in the refrig. This time I used course.

I also don't do meat market briskets. Mine are untrimmed and I leave them that way. I cook fat down and do use the beef broth in the foil during rest. My biggest problem is remembering to go meat side down in the foil so the meat sits in the broth. Yesterday's went fat down in the foil for the rest. I prefer meat side down.

I also do not inject my brisket. When slicing, go against the grain at a slight angle. If it wants to tear, try making the slices a tad larger.

Don't give up and keep practicing and you will win the battle.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I have done about 20 briskets and some cuts of meat just cook different.I leave alot of the fat cap on and let the meat flavor come through.Keep trying your next one will be perfect.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • coma4by
    coma4by Posts: 1
    Options
    I cook mine fat side up. I also put about a beer and a half in the drip pan. Some times i will use apple juice but i like the way beer comes out better. Once it is up to temp, I will wrap it up in foil, wrap in a towel and let it sit in a cooler for at least 1 hour. It is amazing how meet keeps in a cooler. I left my last brisket in there for 2 hours and when we went to cut it, it was still to hot to touch.

Hope this helps. :)