Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fuel costs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

This may be difficult to answer, and I know it probably depends on a bunch of things, but ballpark estimate how much does it cost in lump to grill a steak on a small egg?

In other words, if one grilled a steak every night and just filled up the egg with enough every day to top it off, how much new fuel would be used every day?

Assume say $1/pound for the lump.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    How big is your steak? How long do you want to cook it? What temperature do you want it cooked at? Dome open or closed? But acually, who cares? :cheer:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    My guess would be 15-20 steaks before you would have to top it off. You'll use more getting to temp than cooking.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    If it were me doing it, since I like my steaks rare, I doubt that I would use 10# bag in two weeks. Of course that is a guess, but someone smarter than me is going to have to help. Less than a $1 a day.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have no idea but if you are asking what kind of fuel efficiantly you can get with the egg. when i first got my egg i counted 14 diffrent sessions before i needed to buy another bag! one of those sessions was a turkey breast.. like flapoolman said you use more getting up to temp than you do maintaining ;)

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    That's a good point. I remember doing my first butt. I had it on for about 13 hours and after it was done I still got a cook of a chicken and burgers out of that load of lump. I was just amazed.
  • otisdog
    otisdog Posts: 187
    Options
    Friday night I started a 12 hr butt cook. Since I was going to do some brats for lunch I just let it burn on low another two hours then cooked lunch and shut it down. Still half full now.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Not a direct answer to your question, but; I use my large 4-7 nights a week and on average use an 8.8lb bag of lump per week at $5.99 per bag. This is a mixture of short and long high and low temperature cooks.