Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner Pizza Question

Options
Offstars
Offstars Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Quick question for all you long time owners. I just bought my first BGE, a large, last week. I have cooked on it 4 times, twice with plate setter at about 250, and twice direct at 650. Loved the results. I want to try a pizza. What would you recommend? should I get the stone available from BGE, or is there something else out there? What temp would you recommend cooking at? for how long? I also heard you can burn up your gasget if the stone is too large? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I would get a BGE stone as they are supper heavy duty and should last a lifetime. Provide airspace between the platesetter and pizza stone when you cook. I personally have found cooking pizza's at 400 dome temp for around 30 minutes works best for me. I load my pies heavily with toppings and it takes longer to bring that mass up to cooked temp. A lot of eggers cook at higher temps with success although I would stand my pies up to anyone's. There is no right answer and trying different methods is half the fun. ;)
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I have had two large eggs for six years and each one has the BGE pizza stone.I think it is one of the best ones out there and have never heard of one cracking.Plus it will have a life time warranty.Most of the pies are cooked at 500 degrees and for about ten to twelve minutes.One tip that many eggers use with the stone is to put three green feet under the stone to give some air flow under the stone.Or some use 1/2 inch elbows to achieve the same thing.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Just experiment and have fun,I use parchment on all my pizzas now and seem to get a better more consistent crust.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i go with the platesetter legs up, grid on top of that. i now use a pizza screen (no stone). i've tried it a bunch of ways, this one just happens to suit us well.

i prefer being around 650 or so. but they cook fine at lower temps too, say 500

if you go with a stone, go with the BGE. the pampered chef ones don't last long
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Offstars,

The burning gasket thing is relative to the height of the stone. The bge stone is very good. The other kinds don't stand up to high heat. Some folks order kiln shelves. I use parchment for thick pizzas and the air bake pan for thin crusts.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    I definitely recommend the BGE stone along with everyone else. It's thicker than others I've seen and cracked. Been using mine for about 5 years without a problem and I usually cook pizza in the 700-750 range (or above if I've cleaned out the firebox recently and have good airflow). At that temp, it's 2-4 mins per pizza (can't give an exact since it's never the same--I just peek through the top and take it out when it looks done. I have certainly burned up my gasket though. I have a nomex replacement gasket ready to be put on, but I haven't yet since it still cooks great without it.
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    I like them best with very few toppings, thin crust and cooked within 2-4 minutes at temps between 650° and 750°

I use a plate setter legs down and something to raise the BGE stone up - copper pipe couplings or BGE feet. I'm still perfecting having the top and bottom done at the same time within that 2-4 minute time frame but I'm very close. I think it's a matter of getting the pie high enough into the dome.