Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

burgers and dogs

Options
Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In my few months of owning my egg I have done many cooks and have been very pleaseed! Last weekend I cooked pulled pork for over 100 people and I think everyone single person hugged me!

I have yet to do hamburgs and hotdogs! This may be a silly question, but does a standard hotdog really turn out better on the egg than on a gas grill?

Last night we did dogs for the kids and i wanted to fire up the egg, but my wife wanted to just use the gasser because we were in a hurry and she thought they would taste the same! Now I am curious if it really does make a difference on some of the simpler foods?

Thanks

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes the smokey flavor adds to the taste. I also cook them in a CI skillet on the BGE with butter, celery salt, onion powder & garlic salt. The kids will love it...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it makes ALL the difference.

frankly, it's what i recommend (or a steak) when showing someone the value of the BGE. everyone's had a burger off a gasser. cook them one off a BGE and they will wet their pants. I threw some on this past fourth of july and our neighbors were apoplectic. they asked what i'd done to them. i said i ground up a chuck roast and that was it. cooked thme on the egg. one guy asked his wife "isn't this the best burger you've ever had in your life?"

and i ain't that good a cook.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Next time you make burgers cook all but one on the BGE. Cook the other on the gasser. Do your own taste test. I say only cook one on the gasser, because my money says you're going to pick the BGE burger.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    IMHO, heat is just heat on short cooks. I've got some beef kielbasa for later and think I'll take the easy route and char them a bit on the W*b*r. I'd stand on my head for "Bush's Grillin' Beans" and they'll be on the menu too! Enjoy your BGE!
    8 - )
    Beans2.jpg
  • stike
    Options
    weber gasser or charcoal grill though?

for me, the ceramic doesn't add flavor, it's the charcoal. the ceramic does other thing of course, for longer cooks. but on short cooks, the lump charcoal is where the payoff is in my mind (tiny as it is :) )
  • Rascal
    Options
    Although I have both, this one will be on the kettle so I can use up some of those funny-looking 'lumps'! In retro, I suppose a burger on the Egg would be the winner. On the other hand, in some cases, sometimes it's just way too easy to set the gasser at WFO and be cookin' in 5 minutes. For that reason, I suppose I'll always have one (or 2).
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    You could always sit back and sip an adult beverage while the BGE comes to temp. :whistle:
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Rascal
    Options
    Ah yes, if I can just remember to do it in that order! 8 - )
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    It might seem like alot of work, but I will smoke hotdogs at 250 with the PS My daugter and son say "they are the best dogs they have ever eaten".

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Hot dogs on the Mini are a lunchtime staple here. Hebrew National franks, a few slits with a sharp knife on opposite sides, 325º direct with a raised grid, a small chunk of hickory in the lump, dogs turned a few times to equalize the grill marks, cooked until they just start to crisp in spots. I never came close to the same results with either the gasser or the Smokey Joe.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    on the egg is better. leave the thermapen in the house though, nothing ruins a good burger more than a thermapen :laugh: burgers cooked to 160 for safety, yuck, i would rather eat them raw at room temp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    My wife was basically a vegetarian until she met me with my Eggs. One burger and she was hooked. We MUST have burgers at least once a week. She likes hers a little more done than mine but thats OK. We also do Hebrew Nationals. Put them on just till they char a little and yank them off. I do a whole package and save the leftovers to take to work.

Speaking of work.....I'm back to work now after being off for four months. Guys make SURE you have your blood work done. They caught my cancer with a simple PSA test. The surgery is a bear, but it beats the alternative!!!
  • stike
    Options
    grind your own and raw isn't a problem...
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    Same thing happened here a few weeks ago. Had some friends from college over and made burgers. Just some salt/pepper/garlic powder on 80/20 ground beef from the store (I don't have a grinder) and people were in awe. I'd been so busy making pizzas, spatchcocked chicken, salmon, etc that I forgot how great the egg makes a burger. Now they're back in the rotation.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    yep, always sample some when grinding. still like my burgers med/rare even if i buy from the market. demoulas had no duck breast this week, will have to wait til next week for them to order it. was looking forward to starting that proscuitto
    fukahwee maine

• ar3
    ar3 Posts: 11
    Options
    Just curious what temp you guys get the egg to when you cook burgers. Seems like two viable options: around 350 or around 600.
  • stike
    Options
    i think MB has different stuff based on where they are. different ethnic groups around, maybe. i have to go to danvers to get rabbit for paella, for example.

they had fresh ham, too, for easter, whereas down here it was "regular" ham.

do the duck they way it is in ruhlman's book, and make sure you aren't shy about rinsing the salt off. i thought (the first time) it'd "undo" the point of salting it if i washed it well, and i merely rinsed it. it was a little salty. next time i just washed it like i was trying to get dirt off or something.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I use a different number and cook mine at 400. They come out so very nice and moist, which I think is the main feature of ceramic cooking - less airflow means less evaporation.

Doug
  • stike
    Options
    80/20 is key, too, frankly. fat is where it's at!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    did you do it in one layer or can you salt duck salt duck stack them. was going to add either the juniper or bay, my bay plant is getting big enough to start picking from
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    first time was one breast. second time i did eight. i had a rectangular tupperware container as wide as a duck breast is long (with a little extra).

i did three across on a layer of kosher salt. then covered them completely by a quarter inch at least. then another row of duck. a quarter inch of salt over that, and the last pair of breasts, themselves covered in salt. you shouldn't let them touch, and you shouldn't see them when covered. an eighth inch of salt all around is the goal. so when you stack them, it doubles to a quarter inch between.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I go anywhere from 600 to 700. My burgers are pretty thick, and I like my own pretty rare. I'll get the temp up, put the burgers on and shut the vents. The first side goes on for about four minutes. I'll flip them and do mine for three, hers for four. Mine are medium rare, hers medium well.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    When I cook less than well done burgers I use irradiated 80/20 ground beef from Wegmans. It cooks up nice and no worries about E. Coli. (We haven't started to glow in the dark either.)