Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I burn't the crust on my Costco Pizza

Mordi
Mordi Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was my first pizza. Tried to make a 16" Costco Pizza on a XL egg. I place the platesetter (legs down) on the grid. The 16" pizza was larger than the BGE pizza stone, so I ended up placing the pizza directly on the platesetter. Cooked the pizza per directions - 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Top was done but totally destoyed the bottom - burnt beyond recognition :(. I was so hungry I ate it anyway, but I was deeply disappointed. :angry:

I know I should use a stone and platesetter together, but the 16" pizza was just too large to fit on the stone. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mordi

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Cut it into quarters. :ermm:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Buy a smaller pizza. No, really, put your platesetter legs down, put the 3 feet on the setter and place the stone on top of the 3 feet.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Sorry to hear the news, however, you have learned a valuable lesson.

I havne't cooked on an XL so those folks will need to jump in.

Think about your pizza and why the top was cooked and the bottom wasn't.

Most likely your egg was not stabilized or of equal temperature.

Your dome needs to radiate as much or equal heat as the lump does from the bottom of the pizza.

Some folks use a plate setter, spacer and a pizza stone. Other use a plate setter and others just a pizza stone.

Most any setup will work if you let your egg get to and maintain your cooking temperature.

The higher the temperature the longer the stabilization to be achieved.

Think of a pizza oven at the restaurant. Two ceramic masses about 6 to 10 inches apart. If the only heat source was at the bottom ceramic mass and the oven was not allowed to be at temperature the same result would happen.

On my large I cook pizza higher up in the dome for that specific reason.

If I am cooking a pie with a lot of raw meat, sausage, beef, chicken, I will get the top of the egg hotter than the bottom side of the cooking surface.

I load the lump a little low in the egg, use a inverted spider with a drip pan to deflect the direct heat, adjustable grid (raised grid) and very thick pizza stone. With this set up I will get a hotter cook from the top than the bottom.

The same can be accomplished by usiing the plate setter legs down, spacer Copper El's or some such item, then the pizza stone.

If cooking a pizza with some fruit or tomato on it I will load the lump higher in the egg, again spider, adjustable rig and thick pizza stone. This set us generally get me equal heat from the dome as well as pizza stone.

I cook a heavy loaded pizza about 400°-450° and a thinner pizza about 500°.

Costco pizzas (for me cut up), store frozen or fresh made pizza all cook well.

Until I started doing something like this I had raw toppings or burnt bottom.

Now, we all enjoy the pizza.
    pizza.jpg

When you have a problem with a cook, think about the outcome and what was done in the egg. The problem is usually pretty straight forward.

GG
  • zipur74
    zipur74 Posts: 48
    Primo has an 18 in. stone give it a look.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You really can't cook pizza directly on the plate setter at high temps, it is WAY too hot. The plate setter is the buffer you need for the pizza stone.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Your platesetter suckes up the heat from the lump, and the surface temp of the platesetter is much higher than you want for cooking pizza.

With a pre-made pie that is too large for your pizza stone you can cook it directly on the grid which is sitting on the platesetter legs up. You could also put the 14" pizza stone on the grid (again on a platesetter legs up) and allow for a 1" overhang. The edges might get a bit crispy, but you will certainly salvage the rest of the crust.
  • Thats great advice man. You are among the best, count me in as a GG fan.

Doug