Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone used Briquettes in there egg

lilaccityhearth
lilaccityhearth Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was so amazed how much longer and even they burned? I highly recomomend trying some out!!! I was able to control the heat and dial it right in with ease.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    They also produce much more ash...

Your experience is not the norm..
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    That's usually not a good plan! What kind of briquettes were you using??
  • I dont know about the ash content point that wolf brought it seemed to be less than the lump i have been burning.
  • Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    I've used them as a Plan B in my Eggs. Accidentilly bought some Royal Oak briquettes thinking they were lump once.

I would use 'em if I was too lazy to do the 1 hour round trip to get the 'real deal' lump charcoal from my nearest dealer.

More ash by FAR. Can't hit the higher temps if you need or want to like lump can.

Seeing as how you're a dealer I wouldn't stock the stuff although IMO briquettes are OK to use in a pinch if the other alternative is the oven. :laugh:
  • The ash produced from briquettes is usually many more times that of lump. What brand briquettes did you use?
  • I think you guys need to research some quality Natural Briquettes. This brand was as good as anything else i used in the Egg.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    everytime i smoke cheese

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedcheese/smokedcheese.htm

but too much ash to do it for anything else unless you can't find lump

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Seattle Todd
    Ash residue is noticably more with briquettes. What brand of briqettes did you use and what brand of lump were you using before?
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    to tell the truth yes i have. hope you dont kick me off the forum. did some of car wash mikes ribs. B)
  • Seattle Todd
    I won't personally. :) I've used briquettes now and then and I'm not talking about the crappy instant light with lighter fluid added or low quality brands.

I own three eggs total and the oldest is now 11 years old. I've done enough cooking to know the difference, 'nuff said.

Briquettes, good quality natural briquettes, are OK in the Egg but they are not as good as lump on many levels.

The only lump charcoal I've ever encountered that would make me make a special run to get real charcoal is that gawdawful Kingsford lump.
  • I have used that kingsford lump in the past and it sparked like crazy. Supposedly that has been corrected. Maybe someone who has used it lately can chime in.
  • Seattle Todd
    I've heard the same. But I'm just not going to give them my business again after their version one lump completely ruined some great ribeyes I attempted to cook. ;)

It wasn't just the sparking when you light. The stuff dumped ash all over the food even after being lit and to temp for an hour before the food went on.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The lowest ash briquettes I've ever used are Wicked Good Charcoal's briquettes and even they are quite high compared to lump. I've tried a number of natural briquettes and not found one yet that will match the ash volume of lump.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Oh yeah, I forgot about all the ash on the food.
  • Kingsford charwood is "more gooder" now. Not sparky for me. If you can, look for the bags that have a woodgrain printing on the side.
    No comment on the briquet question. Never tried it.
    TTFN WLL
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    if you have to use briquettes. Over the last couple of years I've used two or three bags of them.

There's quite a bit of ash compared to regular lump but they do burn quite hot and for quite a while.

On my first try with WG briquettes I cleaned out all of the old lump and dumped in a whole load of briquettes.

They burned hot and very evenly and since then I found that mixing the WG briquettes in with my WG lump helps extend my cook time quite a bit - like I need to do that if I use WG Weekend Warrior!

My 2¢ worth
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Mike,
    I think this is the brand I picked up at Home Depot a few years ago after someone on the forum raved about them. Those briquettes had no additives and burned pretty well. They did produce more ash though. I thought they were just fine.

Have a good 4th (from your neighbor at the Eggfest)
    Paul
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I don't know what brand you seem reluctant to name, unless I missed it. I have used Rancher all natural briquettes, they do burn OK but make an incredible amount of ash. I still have four bags in my shed that I don't know what to do with.
  • You should try WGC Briquettes again i was able to almost get 600 degrees and didnt have anymore ash than there lump or not a noticable difference.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I had a bag of Nature-Glo briquettes (the kind with no binders or anything else in them) that I needed to finish up, so I used them for a couple of cooks on my large BGE.

I didn't notice anything great about them. Let's put it that way. They weren't bad, but they left a lot of ash, didn't get as hot, and didn't have any smoke taste to them.

I use the Nature-Glo Charcoal lump now (aka Royal Oak) and really like the smoke that I get from the lump alone. With chicken I don't even add any extra smoking wood.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    I had a bag of Nature-Glo briquettes (the kind with no binders or anything else in them) that I needed to finish up, so I used them for a couple of cooks on my large BGE.

I didn't notice anything great about them. Let's put it that way. They weren't bad, but they left a lot of ash, didn't get as hot, and didn't have any smoke taste to them.

I use the Nature-Glo Charcoal lump now (aka Royal Oak) and really like the smoke that I get from the lump alone. With chicken I don't even add any extra smoking wood.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.