Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please help me justify spending

Options
alabamafootball
alabamafootball Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
$750 on a new large BGE. I have the money....i want one awfully bad, but the way the economy is, it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to be spending this much on a grill, even though i know i will love it.

Thanks

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Just look at the posts of all the food. I would think that's all you need.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Hey Alabamafootball, do you eat out?
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    alabamafootball wrote:
    it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to be spending this much on a grill
    Thanks

yeah that would be a lot if all you were getting was a grill - but you're getting an outdoor charcoal smoker/grill/oven that you can use to do everything from steak to cake - smoked ribs to pizza - cornbread to chicken...AND - it's guaranteed for a lifetime of cooking all these things and more.
  • alabamafootball
    Options
    hey guys, yeah, we eat out, but we do a lot of grilling also. i have three traditional smokers at home, but im sick of tending to the coals all day. my turn on for these is being able to throw the lump and wood in there and go play golf or go to the pool and come back and dinner is ready......
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm a single person w/ little disposable income. I had a sample taste from a BGE demo several years ago and have been dreaming ever since. Finally broke down and bought a Small BGE a couple of weeks ago. Boy am I sorry I didn't get one sooner. I've bought several small cheap charcoal grills thinking I was saving money (hah!) but never found the taste I knew was possible. The ecstasy of food from a BGE will help take your mind off the state of the economy!!
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    if the $750 is what is bothering you, then buy a medium! :lol::lol:
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    You just justified it! Now buy it!
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    I kept procrastinating for 10+ years due to the price. I bought a different charcoal smoker/grill instead.

Got my large for Fathers Day 2008 and greatly regret not buying it 10+ years ago.

Now I want a small (really bad) to go with the large. I can't afford it right now, but guarantee it won't be another 10 years.

Go for it and you'll never regret it. Good luck.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Easy Peasy..

In your life time how much have you spent on Grills?

Unless you go crazy that $750.00 will be the last time you buy a smoker/grill..

If you got crazy like some of us.. It will be the first of several eggs you buy.. Just don't tell your wife that part. :woohoo:
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    Simple answer:

You'll never (have to) buy another grill/smoker again. Now, you might want ANOTHER one :laugh: , but never a replacement.

JUSTIFIED...No go buy your Egg
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Not only is the egg the most versatile cooker you can have at home, but it's also very efficient. With the cost of charcoal these days, the cooker will pay for itself in charcoal savings in a year if you cook a lot.
    Pull the trigger!!!
    Great weekend toya.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Buy it once from a dealer and you are set for life.

Buy 4 gassers and get ready to buy another.

It's your choice. :unsure:
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    I don't think you should get one. I did, and now my wife just called from the store. Her whole clan is coming to our place for the holiday and they all insist on egged this and egged that. They look forward to all the goodies. They all have their favorites ("hey, remember when you cooked me some XXXX on that egg thing?") They are bringing friends. I can hear the cash register whirring in the background even now. $750.00 is only the beginning..........
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Go for it.How many grills out there appreciate every year?It will be a good investment as far as the wife is concerned and it will last you a life time.Will your car do that?Enough said.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you're spending it on a grill AND a smoker, AND a brick oven...

and you won't need another one in your lifetime. of course, you'll probably buy another one in your lifetime, but it'll be because you want another one, not because it needs replacing.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lilaccityhearth
    Options
    Thats my boy stike, dead on!!
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    You're buying a way of life man, you're validating your manhood, don't be a whimp go out there and by a couple of them, it will be verfiy your destiny, help the stupid economy. Buy three and a table and accesories including a hot tub for prepping steaks. hink about the gas you will be saving.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Go to an eggfest this summer. That'll do it!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Here ya go. Now go buy it.....
    IMG_4750.jpg
    IMG_5014.jpg
    IMG_5002.jpg
    IMG_5240.jpg
    IMG_5531.jpg
    IMG_5494.jpg
    IMG_5458.jpg
    IMG_5705.jpg
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Like Rolling Egg said. A picture is blah, blah, blah. Go out over the weekend and get the gosh darn thing.. Anyway, if you can afford to go out and play golf regular, you can afford an Egg.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL I love the fact that a lot of the posts are from new eggers!! ;) that says a lot. I have yet to see anyone get it and be sorry. well that lady that I got my large from in FL. but that was just wrong.... :)
  • Mainegg
    Options
    WOW Faith, Michelle, Anne, Anna, and ladies... we have validated our "MANHOOD!!!" :evil: LOL had to get you on that one Capt' :lol: :laugh: :P JULIE ha ha
  • alabamafootball
    Options
    LOL!!!! I think the pictures may have reeled me in. Heres my problem. ive got to pay the 750 plus tax. then i need the plate setter, the nest, the charcoal, the rib rack, the drip man, etc......now were getting expensive. i know i wont regret it, but i guess my question is, do any of you know where i might can find it cheaper then my dealer here in bham?
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    If there is an Eggfest near you, the new eggs used at the fest are sometimes sold as "demo eggs" after the party. These once used eggs are usually sold at a discounted rate, and they are already put together.
  • Mainegg
    Options
    OK you NEED the EGG and the lump, Plate setter and pizza stone maybe. if your dealer stocks them and is not far just break it up. the nest is 50/50 it can set on a couple of pavers with the feet under it. my first 4 eggs did not have nests :whistle: of the 7 I own now only 3 of them have nests. and that is cause they were gotten at fests as demos or one was used and came with it. or just go down a size to a med. It is just two of us and most of the time I cook on the mini or the small. I use the large if I am doing a big batch of pulled pork or cooking for 8 or more.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    first; you cannot put a price on happiness
    second; this is the last 'outdoor cooker' you will ever buy [except for the second egg]
    third; amortized and compared to how much i spent on gassers that died over the last 31 years, the egg wins.

i wish i had not waited so long..

bill
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    Imagine this. You are watching the Tide in late Oct or early Nov with the best food you have ever put in your mouth. And all in the comfort of your home.

I will be doing the same this year except it will be my beloved Tar Heels.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
  • Mainegg
    Options
    Crimsongator wrote:
    nmsg.
    OK i HAVE TO ASK... :S
    NMSG?? :ermm:
    WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS MEAN????? :huh: