Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless thermometer advice - please!

Options
Rex
Rex Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well my original Polder meat thermometer finally bit it (bought back in 1998 when I got the Egg) and I need a new one. Thought I might check with you guys to see if I could get any advice before choosing one. Does anybody have any recomendations on a wireless unit? I'd like one with multiple sensors so that I can monitor both the dome temp as well as the meat's internal temp. Do these things really work "good" while walking around the house and yard?
TIA,
Rex

Comments

• GrillMeister
    Options
    RediCheck.jpg
    <p />Rex,[p]I use the Redi-Check ET-73. So far I've used it on a low and slow overnight and it worked great. It has alarms for the meat temp and a low and high threshold for dome temp. The dome probe fits right where the egg themometer goes.
    [ul][li]Maverick Redi-Check ET-73[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Rex,
    I have the New-Temp 701 and really like it.It has a high and low alarm.I got mine from Allgrills.com...Free shipping.
    Larry

• Julio
    Julio Posts: 20
    Options
    GrillMeister,can this unit monitor two temps at once? Like dome temp and meat temp. Thanks, Julio.
  • Smokin Bob
    Options
    Rex,[p]After asking around myself recently, I ordered the same as GrillMeister last weekend. Seemed to have all the necessary features along with durability and a price that's right!
    [ul][li]Wireless Therm![/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Julio,[p]Yep. It has two probes. One you put in the meat and the other replaces your BGE Thermometer.[p]The cool thing is that it has alarms if your dome temp goes too high or too low, plus an alarm for when your meat reaches the desired temp.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Julio
    Julio Posts: 20
    Options
    Grillmeister,thanks for the info! I am going on line to get one right now.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Grillmeister,
    I have a Maverick wireless as well, though not this model.[p]I find that I am frequently losing the signal, and for some reason, the only way to regain it is to turn off the transmitter and turn it back on again, which means that even though I am remote, I often have to go downstairs in the middle of the night to check on an overnight-lo-and-slo.[p]Does this newer unit a.) maintain the connection any better?[p]or b.) allowa you to regain the connection by cycling the RECIEVER off/on instead of the transmitter?[p]stike

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rex,
    I tried the redi check over the labor day and could not get the reciever to function.
    The transmitter sent out correct data when compared with Polder. The reciever showed only a line where I expected to see a temp read-out.

• GrillMeister
    Options
    stike,[p]I still have to cycle the transmitter, but only within 60 seconds of turning on the receiver. I have not had any problems with it losing a signal, but my egg is visible in the kitchen through a big window in my living room. If I take the receiver to my den where my computer is, I will lose the signal, but there are several walls between both units then.[p]I would recommend new batteries if you've used it for a while.[p]On another note, I think someone suggested using a baby monitor to hear the Guru, and that concept will work with your thermometer. Just put the Receiver near a window facing your egg location, and place the baby monitor transmitter in the room with it. Take the baby monitor reciever to bed and it will work fine. [p]I'm going to add that to my list of gadgets since my bedroom is on the other side of the house and garage.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GreenEggs&Ham
    Options
    rdp,
    The Key to geting the receiver to function is to plug in the sensors, take the cover off the rear of the transmitter, & turn both units "on" @ the same time, keeping them withina few inches of each other s that the transmitter recognizes the receiver. This should solve your problem