Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini or Small?

Options
Lionel
Lionel Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We purchased a new, used but new to us, camper this week. My large is to big for travel and I'm thinking a mini or small. any thoughts?

Lionel

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi Lionel. We have a small for our camper and built a transporter for traveling with it. very easy to load and go. we have a mini also ..... I think I would go with a small just because if you have more than two you are cooking for the space allows it to all be ready closer together. if it is just for two or one then a mini is great. our son had been using our mini for a couple of months and just traded us for our small. he feels like he has and XL he said with all the room. but I do love my mini. Faith has show a lot of "big" cooks on her mini if you do a search.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The mini weighs 30 lbs. and the small 65 lbs. That may make a difference in hauling it in and out of the trailer.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Small! Always get a little bit more than your minimum needs. It's not that heavy that it becomes unmanageable. You won't regret it. If you do you then buy the Mini and you still have the Small as a support to the Large at home. Sounds like a win win proposition to me.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I can no longer lift the Small without risking injury to the Egg, my back, or both. We're taking our Mini camping for a week in August. The Small can keep the Large company on the EggDeck while we're away.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Hey Doug, where in Jersey do you come from. I'm up north in Hawthorne which is around 8-10 miles west of the GWB.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i love my mini .. click my name then click recent posts you will find a couple of recent threads with mini pics including mine ..
    that said... small offers more surface... but with out a potlifter and two people.... i recommend the mini... 65lbs at arms length is too much for my lower back ..
    while the steak rests the asparagus is gettting grilled ,, starch is boiling on the portable gas burner..
    personally, especailly on summerr weekends i like sitting out and grilling one course after another while i enjoy an adult berverage .. if your looking for 3 courses off the egg done at once you need more real estate.
    bill
  • lilaccityhearth
    Options
    mini's are great because they fit in the compartments but i love the small size.
  • Lionel
    Lionel Posts: 56
    Options
    I've been known to throw out my back so maybe I'll stick with the mini.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Lionel, I do it like Bill does, and it would be fun for camping. You just have to cook in shifts. I usually cook 3 or 4 things on the mini, just depends on the order I want. First the appetizer, then the veggie, the protein, reheat the veggie while the protein is resting under foil, then dessert. If you search mini in the search forum box, you will see LOTS of mini cooks. I just keep cranking out food off the mini til the lump is gone!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    faith is on target and her method allows more time for consumtion of adult beverages while eating and egging. B)
  • Buy one of each. One can never have too many BGEs.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    DryFly, We're just outside of Red Bank at the north end of the Jersey Shore.