Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dual thermometer help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
I would like to purchase a thermometer that can keep track og when my cooker gets to high and when the cooker gets to low.[p]i would like an alarm to ring if my cooker hits 220 and below or 250 and above.[p]suggestions on what I should purchase?[p]thanks for the time.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    ribcrazy,
    I have not heard of one yet that will alarm in both directions, but that certainly doesn`t mean that there isn`t one. If I need to have alarms both directions I just use two therms. set one for high alarm and the other for low alarm...but now you got me thinkin..I have a Nu temp 701 that will accept up to 3 probes and I never checked wether I can set the different probes for 1 high and the other low at the same time !!!!! Hmmmmmmm[p]Wess

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    ET73.jpg
    <p />ribcrazy,[p]I believe that the new ET-73 Redicheck from Maverick does what you wish. I have not used it, but have read many posts from folks that have. Seems to work well.[p]Rich G.

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    ribcrazy,[p]I have not seen a wireless therm. that will do both high & low temps but, I did find the Maverick ET73 which does meat temp and dome temp. [p]I have found a $47.99 price and then another for $39.99. The $47.99 has the Maverick name but, the 2nd at $39.99 uses the redi-check name yet has the same ET73 model # and identical features.[p]Does anyone know if these indeed are the same monitor? I realize it's not a great deal of $ but, the gadget fund can use all the available savings it can get![p]Thanks -- B o B[p]http://store.yahoo.com/thegadgetsource/011502013733.html[p]http://www.maverickhousewares.com/new/et73.htm
    [ul][li]Maverick ET73[/ul]
  • smokinBoB,[p]that model dual temp, does it keep track of when the temperature goes above 2 different set temperatures?[p]meaning 1 alarm will sound if the temp hits 225, and the second alarm hits at 250 or above. [p]or [p]will it not alarm just as long the temp is between 225 and 250. i want to be able to know when my bbq temp drops under 225 so i can 'mess' with the coals.
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    ribCrazy,[p]I have yet to see one that will alarm when you go below a temp...
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    smokinBoB,[p]The Nu-temp 701 wireless can be set to alarm hi or low depending on your needs. When I'm doing a long low 'n slow, I use it to monitor the cooker temp and alarm if it goes below my desired temp. Towards the end, I place the probe in the meat, reset temp, and set it to alarm when the meat reaches my desired temp.[p]While we are on the subject, I was in Linens 'N' Things today looking at their thermometers. They have a Polder that has dual readings, one for cooker and the other for meat temps. It only uses one probe with two sensors. The meat probe has a sensor at the end where the wire connects that monitors the cooker/oven temp. It is not a remote unit, but I'm still curious if anyone has used one of these. The price was $29.99.[p]Jim[p]Jim
  • ribcrazy,[p]I bought the Maverick ETR73, and it works very well. You set hi temp for meat, and Hi and lo temp for smoking chamber. It woke me up when chamber temp went below my preset, the wife was not too happy, but, the brisket ended up perfect[p]The Man

• ribcrazy,[p]I bought the Maverick ETR73, and it works very well. You set hi temp for meat, and Hi and lo temp for smoking chamber. It woke me up when chamber temp went below my preset, the wife was not too happy, but, the brisket ended up perfect[p]The Man

• Rich G,
    I have the readicheck ET-73 you mentioned. It remotely monitors a high and low dome temperature as well as the meat temperature. For the dome temperature it alarms when the high temperature is exceeded and it alarms when the temperature drops below the low temp set point. I did an overnight cook this weekend. I set the dome low point temp alarm at 200 degrees and the high at 250 degrees. Sure enough at 2:00 in the morning the low point alarm went off at 200 degrees. All I did was crack open the vent a little more and went back to bed. The readicheck is great and only 39.99 at thegadgetsource.com. I highly recommend it.
    Rich B

• willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Options
    I just got one of these! Haven't cooked with it yet, but did test the calibration and the HI-LO alarms...worked like a charm. The LO alarm won't go off until after you've gone above the LO set point. Once you've reached cooking temp in the dome...if the temp goes below that set point... BEEP BEEP BEEP... [p]The remote will make it easy to keep an eye on the temps without having to constantly go back and forth to check. I'm looking forward to not having to lose sleep worrying about the fire going out.
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    RediCheck.jpg
    <p />ribcrazy,[p]I bought the RediCheck ET73 from the Gadge Source listed in this thread. Easy order, quick ship and it work great.[p]Here's a pic of the remote and the sensor. [p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • smokinBoB,
    I own a ET-73. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. And yes it does have a low temp alarm.