Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simply the best! (slideshow / pics)

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few weeks ago I bought some Birkshire pork and intended to wrap it with rye bread. We ended up having more guests than we planned for so I rushed out to the butcher and bought a larger piece of pork and put the Birkshire in the freezer.

One Saturday night my wife says "we're expecting 10 adults and 5 children for Father's Day dinner - let's stuff the Birkshire pork and make it for Father's Day!"

This recipe was inspired by Don Marco...

Everyone and I mean everyone loved this pork - our guests were mopping up the juices with bread when the plate was empty - They all said - this was simply THE BEST dish they ever had.

Click on the photo...

th_DSC03238.jpg

Thanks Don Marco ! You made me very proud on Father's Day!

Michael
Mississauga, Ontario Canada

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Very nice looking cook, got my mouth watering.

GG
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    :blink: I'm hungry again :woohoo:
    How much difference did the Birkshire make in your opinion compared to plain old pork?

Max
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    Options
    I just looked at ALL your pics. Boy am I hungry and feeling sorry for myself because my BGE hasn't arrived yet. :(

Thanks for the pics - I always learn something...such as your pieces of copper pipe. Very clever. :P
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    great looking cook Michael, I bookmarked it. I see you cooked it indirect on the small? what was the dome temp and at what temp did you pull?
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • RGBHV
    Options
    In my opinion, it was well worth the extra cost...

I'd buy it for a nice meal any day!

Michael
  • maXim
    maXim Posts: 468
    Options
    Thanks Michael,

I will definitely try your recipe!!! Simply looks amazing.

Max
  • RGBHV
    Options
    You'll be so happy when your egg arrives...make sure to leave room for your 2nd egg. I know it sounds crazy but you'll probably want a 2nd soon!

The froum contains all kinds of helpful info - I read about the copper pipe to seperate the plate setter / pizza stone on the forum. I don't remember who to thank, but it was another egger!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Thanks GG !

I can't wait for the internet to have scratch and sniff.

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Hi Gary:

I actually cooked it on the L-BGE - the S-BGE got in the last couple of pics. I think the S-BGE is feeling a little neglected - I haven't cooked on it since the gasket came off and I haven't had time to repair it. Did you pull the gasket off your S-BGE before your first cook?

The pork was 6 pounds + whatever the other ingredients came to. I started the cook out at 350 dome - indirect with a drip pan filled with apple cider - I had some cider left over after the CWM ribs a week or so ago so I figured - what the H#$% - might as well use it up. After an hour or so I brought the temp to 250 and let it stay there for the next two hours.

At 3 hours, I used my RF thermometer and it read 125, then 145, then 155, then 170 within a matter of minutes. (probably some sort of pocket) I then took out my thermapen and checked the temp in 4 places. All were arouond 160 so I pulled it, wrapped it in newspaper and put it in a cooler for 2 hours. I thought for sure the cook would take at least 4 hours.

Michael
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Michael, my new small is still in the box :blush: btw, I'm sending you an email shortly.
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Hi Maxim...

If you haven't checked out Don Marco's posts, I encourage you to do so. He's done some very imaginative cooks. His stuff pork was the inspiration for this dish.

One thing, I thought the taste of the minced garlic / jalapenos would be more pronounced but it wasn't - I used almost a full jar. Now I know I can use the whole jar. Ha! Ha!

Michael
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Not sure about the scratchin part :woohoo: but I sure would like a sniff of some of these cooks.

There have been some great looking eats posted lately, yours included.

GG