Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why buy with all the gasket problems

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I looked at the BGE today for the first time and said to my wife :"I don't like the look of that gasket". So i came home and there are 457 entries in the last 180 days about the gasket. How has this happened? Product has been around for years--can someone catch me up please.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If you read the 457 entries you'll be all caught up...

No offense, but it gets old having to explain all of this over and over when as you pointed out it was answered 457 times already.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    You want to know "Why buy"? If you read 457 postings in the last 180 days, no doubt you had to have read even more posts praising the Egg and saw pictorial essays showcasing some incredible cooks. That is why you should buy. The trouble with gaskets pales in comparison to the great food you can only experience with an egg. Don't let gasket issues color your opinion about the egg, rather just realize going in that you may have some periodic maintenance with an egg. No different than dealing with any car, appliance, house, etc. Don't get caught up with it. Find some friend with an egg and invite yourself over to check out how well it cooks. I guarantee you that you will want one after a "test drive". Gaskets are relatively cheap and not hard to replace.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    holy cr^p. almost 12,000 posts and this is the first time i have though "good answer"

hahaha

(good answer)

if they had never included a gasket on the first egg, no one would have ever noticed. damn thing doesn't even need one. but they really do need to kill the bad vibe from that bad run of adhesive.

95% of the gaskets have no issue. and yet that remaining 5% is the tail wagging the dog
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I think BGE needs to hire Buxwheat for the PR department.
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    Not sure of the posters reason for submitting the question but I bought my BGE 5 weeks ago and I'm peeved at losing my gasket after such a short time. The BGE is not a small investment and this problem should not be pushed aside. BGE should be paying for dealers to go to customers home and replace the gasket. No questions asked.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    But he is 100% correct. Just about every thing we use needs maintenance, the Egg is no exception. It is like Stike said most gasket problems are operator errors. I think the run of gaskets with bad adhesive have run their course.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    I haven't had a gasket on my large or mini in 7 or 8 years. I did a pork shoulder at 230° for 23½ hours a couple of weeks ago on the large. Don't let the gasket issue bother you, I replaced mine a few times in the beginning but haven't missed it for years.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I do not know why they won't put the better Nomex gaskets on the new Eggs and be done with the whole gasket problem and bad press.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Does your auto dealer come to your home to replace a belt or change your oil?? I would think making a 15-50K investment they better..

That gasket is what 15.00. I am sorry you had a problem, but be realistic..
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    If you get one; just plan to get the nomex gasket and replace the gasket before putting the BGE together. This will lower your risk of being unhappy as a new owner. That is what I would have done.
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    If you get one; just plan to get the nomex gasket and replace the gasket before putting the BGE together. This will lower your risk of being unhappy as a new owner. That is what I would have done.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You havent responded to any of the legitimate replies to your post..so you must be a troll...
  • GrillDaddy
    Options
    good to know Wess B
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Well, with the 4-5 gasket issues posted per week, it is really a moot point when BGE sells over 3000 units per month. You have to remember, 99.9% of all eggs are still on their original gaskets! Just make sure the dollar bill test works and you are good to go!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    He/She is busy reading the 457 posts...
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I cant find it anywhere and this sure stinks of a rat..most likely because they aren't registered...which absolutely defeats the purpose..
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    My dealer has been to my home twice to replace a gasket - no charge.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Hopefully with the next forum revision the webmasters will include a Troll Delete button.
  • lilaccityhearth
    Options
    I guess the forum likes to beat a dead horse
  • Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    Options
    I've got 2 eggs, one a clay medium from the early 1980's. I replaced the gasket on it because it was flooded by a hurricane. Still works! The other is 3 years old, a large ceramic and the gasket looks like new. I don't crank up the temperature to melt iron ore. I use the egg to cook food and she works great. If however, one day if it needs a gasket; it's no big deal to replace.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    The gasket is a well known issue, why BGE corp will not stand up an admit they have a problem and tell all dealers to replace the gasket or at least enclude a nomex gasket with each new egg is beyond belief. a grand for a grill that the gasket fails on after a few uses is very dissapointing. that being said it is a great product and will last a lifetime with minimun maint. my $150 gasser lasted over 10 years with no maint before the burners burnt out, now it is used for BGE acc storage.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Not directed at you PS...

Maintenance is when a fan belt wears out - not when a wheel falls off as you are driving out of the new car lot or even 3 weeks later.

So lets give the new folks a break when this happens.

This post from Felschurch is not the same thing. The guy went through 4 hundred and some odd posts reading about bad gaskets and in all that couldn't find one post saying, even with the gasket problem people love there egg.

Felschurch purpose was to anger folks, and it worked.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    You need to read the 457 posts on this subject..

They not only stood up and said yes we have a problem they have bent over backwards to help those with the issue.

They have the Nomex gaskets and IF you need one they will send it to you. But to expect them to send out gaskets to everyone NOT experiencing a problem is not economical. Nor can they be expected to whip out a crystal ball and determine who will have a problem.

Instead of bitching on this forum about a failed gasket which we as a forum can do nothing about these people should spend that time calling BGE or their local dealers who CAN help them.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Not buying a BGE because of the gasket "problem" is like not buying a Ferrari because you have to change the oil now and then. Actually, it's even sillier than that...I haven't had a gasket in years and I can't say I've noticed the slightest difference in the performance of my Egg, even on low-n-slow cooks.

The only "performance" issue I see with the gasket is that it may cushion the lid/base against chipping on a hard closing.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Dumba$$!People like you don't need to buy one OR visit the forum.....GOOD DAY!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You have to understand with over 500,000 felt gaskets in stock that work perfectly, BGE is not going to throw these out. As soon as they run out of stock, the nomex will most likely be on the new ones. The felt gaskets work just fine and last years.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    nmsg
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I still think that you should have to register to post. Everyone can read, but register to post.
    The Naked Whiz