Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak - London Broil

Ga egger
Ga egger Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking for any foolproof steak recipes. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi Ga egger,

Welcome to the forum. Can you give some details. How thick is steak, do you have a good instant read thermometer, I assume you have a BGE, how well do you like it done? That sort of thing. Thanks, it will make it easier for someone to help you.

Gator
  • Ga egger
    I have a large BGE and the steak is about an inch thick. We like it med rare. Yes, I have an instant thermometer. Thanks a bunch!
  • Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Last couple of LB's I have done turned out great. I marinate in a little soy sauce, teriyaki, dash or two of worcesteshire and oil. Add in some crushed garlic, green onions, and I think the key is Ginger. Powdered or fresh. Let it sit in that for at least a day, maybe two. Bring to room temp prior to cooking

The cook was the basic T REX method found on the naked whiz's website. Temp up as hot as possible. 700 works. Sear for 90 seconds a side. Remove from grill and set inside. Close down the vents until the temp hits 400. Burp the grill by slightly opening the lid a few times. Put the broil back on the grill for about 3 mins a side. Pull at 140-145. Let it rest ten minutes then slice against the grain. Enjoy.
  • Pancakes
    Hope this pic works, this is my first post, used the recipe and temps I posted above for this jewel.

[img size=150][/img]Iphone118-1.jpg
  • Pancakes
    That wasn't it, trying again
    Iphone118-1.jpg
  • Ga egger
    Thanks alot for the info. I am still new but LOVE my BGE.
  • Gator Bait
    Hey Ga egger,

Glad Pancakes had some ideas for you, I got side tracked and am just getting back to my computer.

I do steaks differently from most, I have not mastered the TRex method yet (I'm new at this too). Every time I try it I loose a lot of juice from the steak when I wait for the grill to cool down. I suspect that I do not sear at a high enough temp.

For a steak like your London Broil (I love London Broil) I will heat the egg to about 500° and let it develop a nice bed of coals. I like to sprinkle my steaks with fresh ground pepper and a little garlic salt just before cooking. With the grid set low, down on the fire ring, I give the steak 2 minutes to a side (I use a small timer). The next time I turn it I rotate it to not only give it nice grill marks but to cook it evenly so one end is not done more or less then the other. I then give it about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes to a side depending on how thick the steak is. I pull the steak and check the internal temp, if right around 125° I cover with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. This will give me medium-rare and nice red juices.
    For a 2" or thicker steak I will go with the TRex method and try searing at a super high temp. Most of my steaks are closer to 1" to 1 1/2" and so far my method has been working for me.
    Pancakes recipe looks good, I may have to give it a try.

Be sure to search the forum for London Broil and check out the recipe sections.

Good luck,

Gator
  • Most often...I do as Gator Bait does, but do use a marinade.

LONDON BROIL
    North Portage Smoke-Shack
    From JB

5 large garlic cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 teaspoon honey
    1 1/2 to 2 lbs. top-round (London Broil) steak

1)) Mince the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt, then blend with the remaining salt, red wine, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and honey.
    2)) In a heavy-duty sealable (ZipLock) plastic bag, combine steak with marinade. Seal bag, pressing out excess air, and put in a shallow baking dish. Marinate steak, chilled, turning occasionally, at least 4 hours and up to 24.

3)) Bring steak to room temperature before grilling. Remove steak from marinade, letting excess drip off.

Method / Approach

Keep in mind that cook times are basically nothing more than guide lines and that temping. is the best way to achieve your level of doneness...145 / med. rare and up to 160 for med. well.
    Also remember that the meat does continue to "cook" when tented and resting!

(Method A) Grill on a grid set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals (about 500 F. dome temp.) for about 7 minutes on each side for medium-rare.

(Method B) Sear (very hot)on both sides, remove and cool down the Egg to 350 F. Roast on a raised grid to your required doneness.

4)) Transfer steak to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Holding a knife at a 45-degree angle, cut steak across grain into thin slices.

Serving suggestion: Serve with a baked potato topped with sour cream and chives. Garnish the dish with fresh sliced tomatoes and fresh parsely along side.
  • Gator Bait
    Sounds very good!

Gator
  • Ga egger
    Thanks so much for the good info. I will let you know how it turns out.