Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I spoke with the man himself about 'fast ribs'

Options
Pepper Monkey BBQ
Pepper Monkey BBQ Posts: 652
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are up enjoying two days of the best of the best amongst the BBQ crowd at the Big Apple BBQ Block Party in NY ... enjoyed ribs from Mike at 17th St as well as ribs from Blue Smoke. Had some great 'whole hog' from Ed Mitchell's 'The pit.'

There was a post last month regarding the fast ribs that Ed Mitchell cooked against Bobby Flay in a rib thrown http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=652635&catid=1

The question was how Ed Mitchell made such good and famous ribs while claiming to cook them 20 minutes on each side. Well we saw Ed sitting by himself eating his lunch today, so I asked him. He confessed that he left a part out so to resolve it once and for all, here is how Ed cooks those ribs ... still fast but not as fast as he lead on.

Instructions from Ed:

Rub the ribs but don't use too much rub and really rub it into the meat.
Put them over high heat about 20 minutes per side. Flip as need to keep them from getting too done.
When close to done, remove the ribs and sauce them. Place the ribs in a 'double boiler' ... explained simply as a pan of water with the ribs raised above the water, wrap in saran wrap then foil to keep all moisture in. Put in warm oven or on grill for 30 more minutes ... then serve.

Straight from the horses mouth, this is how Ed claims to make his ribs. In the throwdown he left out the 'double boiler' or steaming part to finish them tender. Still pretty fast ... about an hour and a half cooking time. They didn't have ribs there today, but his whole hog was very good and raved about!

JM

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Theres just something wrong with boiling or steaming ribs..... IMHO
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    A buddy of mine used to do his ribs that way. He would load a charcoal grill with a huge load of Kingsford™ and proceed to get it just glowing red, then throw on the ribs. He maybe cooked them 20-30 mins total, but they always came out well, not fall off the bone tender, of course, but they were good. I don't believe any par-boiling or steaming was a part of the process, I may see him later tonight and I'll ask him if I do.