Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Alaska

irishrog
irishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a barbeque demonstration on a BGE next week for a local radio station. I asked the host what he would like me to cook for him, and he said in jest Baked Alaska.
Has anybody ever cooked a baked alaska on an egg or has anybody got an idea how I wopuld go about it.
Greetings from Ireland, Roger

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL I have done them a few times as a dessert here at the studio and not sure how you would adapt it to the egg :) you do do it ahead and have it ready and use the lighting torch to tip it?? as it sat on the egg?
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    You have to freeze everything solid including the meringue. I mean really freeze it.

You get the EGG up to 700° and make sure the ceramics are hot all the way. You need to extend the top of the meringue into the dome as high as you can.

It takes about 5 minutes to brown the meringue and it all starts to thaw then also. You really have to watch it.

It is most definitely a challenge to do and I wouldn't want to do it as part of a demo but it can be done and I've done it a couple of times. One time it worked the other time it didn't. When it doesn't work you can imagine the fun you will have in the bottom of your EGG®.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    never did it, but inderect as high in the dome as you could get it :) i dont cook sweets but that kahlua cake ive seen here might be a better egg cook for a demo
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • irishrog
    Would you do this with the plate setter in or out. I think maybe with legs down for the extra height.
    At least this is being done for radio, and not for TV, so even though we will have public present there may not be too many LOL.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Since you've never done one, I'd seriously reccomend against trying it for the first time with the public watching.

Cook some brownies or something like that and serve the ice cream with it.

I'm not sure how you could maintain -20° F on site. That's about the temp you need to keep the whole at.
  • alaskanC tried with limited success before coming to eggtoberfest a couple of years ago. ...she has pics on her facebook page. . .hopefully she'll see this and weigh in. .. .bobbyQ said it right ...really really cold meringue/ice cream, and really really hot ceramics. .. .
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Never have tried that dish but as to getting it up high here is how to do it.
    Legs up with the large grate on top.Then a 13 inch grate (I used one from a Weber grill) with four inch bolts.You will also have room to put a BGE pizza stone on top as well.

spatchcockchicken061-1.jpg

This shows a pizza with the legs down but I think that with the legs up it is more of a indirect cook going on.

spatchcockchicken084.jpg

Hope this helps.Just be careful and put your thermometer in the dome last because the tip of the probe will almost be touching you pie depending on how thick it might be.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    For whatever it's worth here is the finished pie.

spatchcockchicken085.jpg
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    That sounds like to me that someone is trying to set you up.
  • irishrog
    Thanks for all the advice. This desert was very fashionable for weddings when I worked in the hotel business many moons ago, we did 3 or 4 weddings every week, and at least half had baked alaska, so I am comfortable with it . I have not done one on the egg so that is my concern.
    I am considering cooking the meringue for a few minutes at high temperature in the egg, and then colouring the meringue tips with a creme brulee torch. I will try and get some photos and let you know how it goes on Monday.
    Greetings from Ireland, Roger
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I think AlaskanC had some luck with it. I'm not sure if it was good luck or bad luck, but I think she attempted it.
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    That pie looks great. What is the advantage of cooking so high in the dome? I've been doing plate setter (legs down) then little egg feet with pizza stone on top of that. So far good results but wondering what does the extra 4 inches do?
  • AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    yeah it was an epic fail.
    HOWEVER
    I do think its entirely do-able. I just haven't tried to make it again.

IMG_3602_11-1.jpg

IMG_3611_20-1.jpg

IMG_3614_23-1.jpg

IMG_3616_25.jpg
  • with scoop of ice cream on halves???? :ermm:
  • irishrog
    Hi Melissa, that looks a bit traumatic for me. If the Alaska was smaller on the tray it might create less of a problem (a polite word for mess!!LOL).
    A trick the old chefs here did was to put a layer of sponge cake between the ice cream and the meringue, and this added extra insulation and protected the ice cream from melting while the meringue set.
    Traditionally also, they used to ignite some brandy and pour this, flaming , over the Alaska. This gave the charred peaks on the tips of the meringue. The flaming Alaskas were paraded into the wedding room with all the lights turned off, creating a great spectacle.
    Thanks for your help, Greetings from Ireland, Roger