Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table - compact vs large

Options
Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have finally decided to purchase a table - my english bulldog has a nice ribeye in his mouth last weekend after I put a tray of steaks on a lawn chair after the phone rang - I was half way thru the trex method. I didnt have enough steaks so I pryed his mouth open - pulled it out - rinsed it off and re cooked it! I think the heat cooked off any germs! btw - he choose DP 'cowlick' over 'raising the steaks'!

Anyway, this forum steered me right by suggesting a large egg over a medium. Which now I am very thankful.

Wanted to know if anyone with a compact table wishes they would have bought/built a larger table. I am really leaning towards the compact as the spot I have my egg on the deck is limited - its a perfect spot! If I went with the large it would require me to move the egg to a not so desirable area on my deck - but would work! I am thinking I would use the table to - raise the egg - allow me to set a tray on - look good and store things underneath! am I missing any other uses?

Is a compact table OK or will I need the extra space for anything! still a rookie! thks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "compact" table. Mine's 4'-0" and I added a drop leaf on the end. Works great!
    d-leaf-1.jpg
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    i think you got it all
    so go get that large table
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I made a smaller table for my medium. The table is somewhat the size of Flashback Bob's less the extension. The size was great until I got a mini and put that in the same table.

I like the idea of making or getting a roll around serving table about the size of Flashback Bob's to include the extension. I would like the extensions on both sides.

GG
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    How is that drop leaf attached, seems like a great idea to me. I run out of room on the table cooking all the time.

Thanks

Doug.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    not that you asked me Doug, but I merely purchased this cutting board for my lift up table.
    IMG_0626.jpg

and attached with these special fold flat hinges which I recall are rated to like 120 pounds.
    IMG_0627.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Bob, nice to see you back! I tried to email you the other day and it came back. So I checked with stike and he told me you moved your pencils and erasers to a new gig. Congrats!
  • Cajun Griller
    Options
    That is a cleaver set up! I may try to inclorporate that design into my next table.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    For me, I need a lot of space. In fact, I have the large table, built a table for my small, and still use the rails with bricks to place hot objects like a platesetter.

IMG_0742.jpg

Greg
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    I agree with the majority here...a compact table doesn't give you much more space than a nest with mates. I would ask what is the primary goal, work space, stability, storage, etc. Then go from there.
  • RRP
    Options
    here's the source for those hinges and I see my memory was foggy - their capacity is 130 pounds not 120. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1690
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Options
    I would make the table as big as you possibly can with the space that you have. Don't you already have an issue with a dog in waiting? If you try to balance a plate or pan of food on a compact table, you run the risk of knocking it off or just having it fall off randomly. I just got a new large table, and added an extra 18" to it to provide for more prep space. Better to have it and not need it....
  • Unojo
    Unojo Posts: 23
    Options
    I wished I had built a table insead of buying one. Could have built a bigger better table cheaper. In the decision/design process now. the local welding shop is estimating a frame cost for me and if that doesn't work out, I'm going to buy a 4'X30" and a 24"X30" SS table and extra 24" shelf to connect the two and set the egg on from a restaurant supply, put it together and "wall it in" on 3 sides. She who must be obeyed wants the turkey fryer and a side burner on it too.

My suggestion is to set the egg on the feet, cook with it several times and then decide what size/type of table meets your needs.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I totally agree about making it as long as possible. I am almost done with my table and I am mad at myself for not making it longer. I made it as per the table plans from BGE, which is 60". I could have made it another foot. I do like the idea of a retractable table.

Gary
    Canoga Park, Ca.