Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobstah Lobstah Lobstah

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...thinking of doing WHOLE lobsters on the egg tonight. Anyone ever done them whole? any thoughts?[p]i have been hankering to do tails since i read the "Dwell in the Shell" recipe, but i realised that if i get lobsters, i'll probably buy them fresh and whole.[p]should i steam the claws and just do the tails on the BGE?
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    lobster&steak.jpg
    <p />stike:[p]That is what I would do. My lobsters, although frozen, were quite good. I think fresh ones would be "mo betta" plus the claws could be used for soup or apetizers. If you did do them whole, I would precut the claws for ease in mopping and eating.
    [/b]
  • stike
    djm5x9,
    good ideer.
    lobsters and I go way back.... but it was always steamed. just way too easy.[p]i think i will do it as you say.
    we're probably getting a cuppla 2-and-a-half or 3 pounders for me and the wife, and a pound and a half for the 3 year old (his first 'own' lobster).[p]you make a good point, about doing the clasw one way and enjoying the tails on the grill. it was your recipe got me drooling about this to begin with!

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    stike,
    Last year there was no ceramic available, so we deep fried some lobster in butter flavored crisco. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome. Real tasty![p]2-1-1.jpg?[p]2-1-2.jpg?

• stike
    Steve,
    very tasty indeed.
    lobster looks great too![p](couldn't resist!)[p]fried in the shell is something i would never have thot of.
    pretty intriguing, actually. sounds simple, too[p]-stike

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    stike:[p]The honors go to the long lost Houndog . . .
    [/b]
  • djm5x9,[p]I just forwarded that picture of to a friend; he had to change his shirt from all the drool that came off his chin.[p]Where did you get that grill grate? Looks beefier than the BGE. I like the handle and it looks like it opens to put lump in during a cook, is that right? I wish I could find a heavy duty cast iron or porcelain coated grid - found on new gas grills - I like the searing properties of those grids and the big marks they leave.[p]Thanks,[p]CC
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    stike, I don't see why whole would be a problem. Even if stacked up it would be not too different than cooking in a pit in seaweed. If you don't like the idea of live creatures screaming when the dome is lowered you can always put them in tepid water for about 10 minutes prior to cooking. The water puts them asleep. They will hit the grid with a smile on their ugly little faces instead of trying to crawl off the Egg.. Good Luck

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    stike,
    Better late than never, I've been doin whole lobsters on the Egg all summer and they are the best bugs I've ever had. Just stab em where the X marks the spot on the back of the head and drop em on the Egg at 400 deg for about 12-15 minutes. I use the fish grid so the legs don't fall through the grill and burn, not a big concern for chix since there ain't too much meat in the legs anyway, but I've been a glutton lately and been goin for two and a half pounders as of late. Each leg has a slim jim's worth of lobstah meat![p]Godd Q to Ya!
    C~Q

• stike
    Citizen Q,
    i did by a 1 1/4 pound lobster, FOR MY THREE YEAR OLD.
    ha
    for myself and the wife, well, 2 1/2.[p]anyway.
    i steamed the little guy, and tossed in the claws and bodies of the bigger ones. the tails i did on the BGE, and they turned out incredible...[p]we've been eating lobsters forever, and the slightly smokey tails were a great change.[p]thanks everyone