Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size of the XL EGG outside diameter ?

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's time to cut the hole for the XL EGG in the table that I am making. I am dreading it because the hole is to be 26 1/4. One suggestion is to put the top dome of the EGG on the table and trace from the outer of the Egg. So what is the outside diameter of the XL EGG ? I have come this far and there is no turning back.

Also, how many coats of sealer to put on. I am using redwood.

Thanks.

Gary
Canoga Park, Ca.

Comments

• Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    Options
    I just went and put a tape on mine it's 26 3/8.
    I have a factory table, they cut the hole leaving a 3/8 gap so the egg of coarse is not touching the sides.
    So the OD is 26 3/8 for the egg plus a 3/8's gap.
    Sand it to round and smooth.
    I would go two coats or three of sealer if its in direct sun light.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    First of all, thank you for the measurement of the EGG. So 26 1/4 would be too small ?
  • EGGARY
    Options
    So the size of the hole is 26 3/4" ?
  • Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    Options
    Yes. by just a bit.
    I would sooner cut a bit bigger hole, as the extra clearance is great for airflow, rather than having to go back and sand, or worse yet try to cut off a 1/4 on a circle. ( Tough to do )
    The XL is a very heavy unit so it's not going anywhere, and the extra clearance will facilitate install and/or removal down the road.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    If you go to the biggreenegg site and look for table plans you will find the following info.
    26 1/4 dia hole with shelf 12 1/2 lower than top.
    You might want to check that out.
    jon
  • EGGARY
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. I just cut the hole and now off to LOWES to get some sealer.

Gary
    Canoga Park, Ca.