Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing pulled pork...need help

Options
reelgem
reelgem Posts: 4,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to freeze pulled pork? I have a food vac. Do I just food vac or do you add something to it to keep it moist? I've read about people adding 20oz. of coke to 4lbs. meat. That just sounds odd to me.
Any suggestions would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks!!

Comments

• Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    morning Anne. We just vacuum seal, and freeze. To reheat, drop the bag in pot of boiling water for a few minutes. The coke thing, we've done that if we are serving in a big steamer with larger quantities. Randy may chime in here and correct me.
    Also, your train incident is in our morning paper.
    Take care.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    depends on how i am going to reheat, in a crock i add some coke and bbq sauce, so i just vacuum pack with nothing. if im going to be dropping the bag in boiling water i like some liquid in there so i add a couple tablespoons of coke and a couple of low sodium chicken stock then pack in the pork and seal. a small amount of coke and low sodium stock works good.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • reelgem
    Options
    Thanks Kim, I like your idea, keep it real simple.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I just put the pulled pork in the vac bag and seal it up. I never add anything to it.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I just freeze in the foodsaver bag by itself also. No liquids. Also be carefull when you re-heat. I usually pack 1.5 to 2 pound packs. The last few I re-heated were still froze in the middle after 10 to 15 minutes in the pot so take your time. Your not going to loose any moister by leaving it in there for 20 to 30 or so. I had to finish my last in the microwave. It dried out a little. Have a great day.
  • reelgem
    Options
    Thanks! I also read that when you re-heat you don't want to have the water boiling, just get it to about 160 degrees so you're just warming up the pork and not cooking it, which makes sense.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Great idea Ann. I usually boil and on one occasion the vigorous boil burst the seal and water got in, yike! 'Reheating' will not make the pp mushy too. Thanks for sharing.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I use a couple oz of coke per lb. 20oz is ridiculoua, that would fill the bag up quick.

Mike
  • ST1SSDV
    ST1SSDV Posts: 33
    Options
    Anne,

I pack it into a measuring cup in 1 cup portions and foodsave it. 1 cup is just about right for a large
    sandwich or a regular georgia bbq "sammich".

To reheat it, I add about 1 Tbsp of water to the
    1 cup portion and microwave it at 70% in a bowl covered with a paper napkin. YOu could add the water and reheat it gently in a sauce pan.