Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll: Do you mop your ribs while cooking?

Options
Ryan
Ryan Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm just curious; do you mop your ribs or just leave them alone and sauce them when they're done?[p]The last two times I made ribs, I've rubbed them first then cooked them indirect at 250 for 4 hours or so. They had a great crust but were a smidge dry inside. I thought maybe if I mopped during the cook, they might not be so dry?[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Ryan,[p]I like my ribs dry. If I do add sauce, I do it after they're off the egg.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Ryan,
    I'm no rib expert but I've seen folks say that they spray with apple juice periodically, and that might make a difference for you.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ryan,[p]I spray'em with apple juice every hour and if I'm gonna sauce'em, I do it in the last 15-30 minutes of the cook.[p]Jeff
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Ryan:[p]Have you tried cooking your ribs at a lower temperature?
    [/b]
  • Unknown
    Options
    We spray them with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and olive oil about every hour. We also do the same thing with briskets.
  • Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Ryan,[p]I cook indirect at 230-240, spares (trimmed) usually 6 hours. No mop, sauce served on the side at the table.[p]Have only cooked BB's once, like the flavor and price of spares better.[p]Rich
  • Bill in VA
    Bill in VA Posts: 29
    Options
    Ryan,[p]Too much rub will dry them thar ribs out, especially if you put it on the day before. [p]Happened to me once, now I go sparingly and they come out much better.[p]Bill
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Bill in VA:[p]More specifically, rubs with salt. Salt acts like a "cure" when applied to meat and will draw moisture from meat if applied too far in advance. It is best to apply rubs with salt just before the cook.
    [/b]
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Ryan,[p]I don't think mopping will help that much with making the inside of your ribs juicy. Rather, I think the primary purpose of mopping is to add to the flavor of your bark or maybe the most external portion of the meat. I think a bigger influence on getting them juicy is finding the right setup which will allow you to cook at a nice and consistently low BBQ temp for 4-5ish hours. I often do mine direct at ~220* for 4-5 hours without mopping and they come out with a nice crust on the outside but a super tender and juicy texture on the inside.[p]Good luck!
    Cornfed

• Unknown
    Options
    Ryan,
    Mopping won't make ribs or any other more moist, as others have said it will add layers of flavor. If the ribs are dry you need to look at taking them off the cooker a little sooner, your are over cooking them slightly.
    Jim

• Ryan
    Options
    djm5x9,
    I've been cooking them at 250. What temp do you cook yours at? Maybe I'll try 220 next time...[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan

• Ryan
    Options
    Bill in VA,[p]I put the rub on about a 1/2 hour before I put them on the egg. I do put a fair amount of rub on...[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan

• Ryan
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone![p]I think I'm going to reduce the heat to 220 next time and see how that works. I might even give them a spray or two with apple juice just for fun... :)[p]Thanks,[p]Ryan
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Ryan:[p]Try elevating them a bit (extended grill) with the means available to you and cook them closer to 200º if possible.
    [/b]
  • Ryan
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]I cooked them indirect over the platesetter, on an extended grid with a drip pan under the ribs... I think the problem is 250 is too high. I'm going to try them at 220. I'll let you now how they turn out...[p]Thanks for your help,[p]Ryan

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Options
    Ryan,[p]No mop for mine, I like them dry. I sauce them at the end for folks who want that. I am experimentng with a simple brine solution before the cook. So far, I am pleased with the outcome.[p]-Tom