Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boston butt - pulled pork HELP

Options
Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just put on my first boston butt - 7 lb rubbed with EVOO and put on dizzy dust course!

I have 11 hours - Is this enough time? seenms like I read this may be an overnight cook! What temp? I thought I read 225 but should I kick it up to get it done!

Also, should I spray with anything (cider/vinager?) to help it along! should I foil afterwards?

I tried to search the forum but had a hard time getting anything as its called too many thing (pulled pork - butt - pinic......!) I know I have read this info = but now its show time!

Thanks alot!
Bob

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    This probably will not help you today but for the future this is what I do. Check it out. Good Luck Today

http://www.bbqcamper.com/BBQ-Pulled-Pork.php
  • Mr. D
    Mr. D Posts: 32
    Options
    Did an 8# yesterday and it turned out fantastic however it didn't take me overnight or 8-11 hours as some folks claim.

I'm not being critical cause I don't know their situation I'm just say it took me 5 hours.

It took me an hour to fire up the coals and reach temperture. I started at 350 and held that for 2 hours and then took the tem down to250 and held that for 3 hours. The results were fantastic. Good luck
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    225 is good but if you wanted some insurance to geterdone in time you can kick it up to 250 without any problems. It will prolly be ready a little early. Double wrap in HDAF and a couple towels and put it in an ice chest until you are ready to pull. Enjoy.
  • Mr. D
    Mr. D Posts: 32
    Options
    I agree Frank, BTW how are the Crawfish this year?
  • Ribhead
    Ribhead Posts: 123
    Options
    thanks for the replys so far!

Question - do you have to foil? What if we are ready to eat right after I pull off the egg!

Does foiling just keep it hot until the feast or is it an important step in cooking/flavoring the meat!

Thanks again!
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    You do not have to foil but it steams the meat and makes the bark softer. May speed up the process.

You really need to let it sit for a little while to let the juices redistribute through the meat, otherwise it will dry out faster.

I did an 8 lb last week and wanted to get it done quickly. I ran the egg at about 275-280 and it took 8.5 hrs. to get it to 195.

I put one on last night and I'm doing it at 240. So far it has been on for over 9 hrs and it is currently 170 internal. We'll see how long it stays there but I'm expecting this one to go about 13-14 hrs.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    My first 6# butt was finished in less than 8 hours. But since doing two butts the coolkng time has increased to oveall 12 hours - like last night, I believe the largest butt was 7#. But I don't start 'em at 350. I start at 225 to 250 dome.

Good luck,
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Crawfish were outstanding. Hadn't had any for a few weeks and I understand the season is coming to a close.
  • rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    Options
    Question firetruck: on these overnite cooks do you monitor some way or trust to luck. I have noticed a tendency for the temp to increase and decrease. This was what i found on long day cook. Had to keep adjusting.