Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting Steaks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have ordered but not received my BGE yet but have been getting a lot of good tips here on grilling that helps even on my gas grill until the BGE comes. I have had particular interest in the 20min rest for steaks. I believe what you all say, but doesn’t the steak get too cold in the 20min in that to heat it up enough on the slow cook wouldn't it become over done?[p]Maybe I just need more details.[p]Thanks[p]Joe

Comments

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Joe,
    Well like everything else on the egg, steak is subject to many many ways to end up with a great product. I've found that you just have to get some guidance from the great folks here on the site and then follow directions exactly or twist them to suite you needs and tastes.[p]I'm sorry but I don't remember exactly who wrote the steak links that I started following but it gave me the start to the perfect steaks for me. Basically I was using the 700* sear for 1.5 mins each side then dwelling for 4 to 8+ minutes to suite each person eating. The only problem(to me) is that you get a lot of smoke when dwelling. So I read about the 20 minute steaks. I have followed that except that I set the steaks on a plate only for a few minutes, until humpty has let off a little heat (approx 400* to 500*) which I do by closing the vents top and bottom. Then I drop the steaks back on with only 1/8" or so open to keep the smoke going out and not sitting on my steaks.[p]You will probably go through some trial and error, but it will be lot of fun ![p]See ya, BobbyG[p]PS. this only works well on thick steaks 1" preferably 1.5"+

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Joe, mine was not overdone when I tried it. In fact, it's a good thing my wife wasn't around because she would have called it raw. If anything, I will cook it slightly longer at 400 next time.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    trexsteaks.jpg
    <p />Joe,[p]You'll experience no problem with a cold steak - after searing 90 seconds a side, let it rest for 20 minutes, and then roast it at 400 dome temp for about 4-6 minutes a side, depending on your desired doneness. [p]Again, you'll read several differing methods on this forum, and they all work well. This is just the one I prefer, and I think you'll like the results as well.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]20 minute rest method - in detail[/ul]