Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My tongue is going numb

Options
Pancakes
Pancakes Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright gang, here is the part about the forum that I love so much, when the elder eggheads get to pass on some wisdom to the newbs. Here goes...

So I know a little about creosote build up causing numbness on the tongue, but lately no matter what I cook gives me the numb tongue. The first time was on my old grill smoking ribs and the numbness was super intense. Thought I left the dentist's office.

So last night I Did T-rex NY strip as prescribed on TNW site. Subbed hickory for mesquite because it was a long day at the office. Unimportant. I put three small chunks on, maybe the size of a golfball, some smaller some bigger. I dropped these in prior to sear engagement. The steaks were delicious, tender and juicy. Then an hour later and my tongue was slightly numb, not as bad as the first one attempt, but still noticeable. The smoke was not cloudy and somewhat clear. Maybe a little blue to it. What gives?

I also noticed a funny smell after the initial sear, the nomex was still intact on not zorched. I don't know, if you guys have any ideas this young newb could use a hand.

Semper Fi.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Pancakes,

Are you letting the grey or white smoke clear before you cook? Are you using smoking wood and how much?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Maybe you should rinse your tongue more often so the buildup is not as strong.

cabo-wabo_0878_r2.jpg
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Stop licking the daisy wheel :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry,, I have no idea
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Oh yer a riot Alice. The guy asked a serious question! With that said, I lick my daisy once in a while. Sorry, root canal today.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Yea but your part canine :ohmy: :whistle:
  • Lazydogsaloon
    Lazydogsaloon Posts: 213
    Options
    Try the same cook with no wood at all and see if it still happens. What kind of lump are you using?

Lazydog B)
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Definitely rinsing enough, beer and grill is lie ice cream and bananas.

I never understood the smoke color thing. Is that the smoke of the coals after it's lit? Or is it the color from the chunks after they start smoldering? I don't think I am supposed to wait until the chunks start smoking a clean color, if so, why spread chunks throughout the mix during a Boston butt?

This is definitely a fun adventure, I'm eating foods I never thought I could cook. Thanks for the help gang.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    That's not it :evil: Let's not get into it. I can't take painkillers but the beer is working just fine.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pancakes
    Options
    Just burning the BGE lump charcoal, the hickory chunks are probably six to eight months old but I can't see that making a difference. I am going to clean it out on Friday and do a high temp burn. Then I will do something simple on Saturday. Burgers. No smoke. There is absolutely no reason why my tongue should tingle.

Wifey just presented a horrid thought, y'all will love this one, she wonders if I am allergic to the BGE. Blasphemy.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Pancakes,

The grey/white smoke from the lump is just from the initial lighting (VOC'S). The lump that is embedded won't produce those because the burning is gradual. The egg is not a typical pit smoker where the smoke flows up a chimney and so on. A little wood goes a long way. The bitter smoke comes from the new lump mostly. There are folks here that can explain it more technically than I can but at the end of the day, it is just a barbeque. A really amazing barbeque!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    I was going to say it sounds like an allergy to something, maybe the type of wood you are smoking with, a possibility, Maybe try a different type of wood chunk. I have the curse of a severe egg allergy and at onset my tongue will tingle. This is my signal to stop eating, If I continue it gets real ugly. I am no doctor but I am well aware of what will happen if I ignore my tongue tingle warning. Just a thought. :ermm:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Thought!

1) Are you using store-bought hickory chunks, or from a fallen tree/limbs?

2) For a steak I would suggest you get the lump burning clean, then add the chunks just before adding the meat. That way all the VOC's from the lump have been consumed and you only have the smoke from the hickory.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    It's store bought chunks, nothing out if the forest. I am going to ditch the wood and burn it out this weekend. I will try something simple like I said. I just cooked a turkey breast and threw a chunk of pecan on there. The neighbors ate and I asked them if they liked it, they enjoyed it. I asked about the tingle and they said nothing of the sort. I got it and they don't. Great. I hope it's just the wood.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Let us have a follow-up on the mystery.

This is better than CSI. :ohmy: Well. maybe not. :whistle:
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Thanks gang. Will post on Sunday the results. Happy eggin.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have never heard of such! Hope U are not really allergic!!! Man ,that WOULD S^CK!!! :pinch: :angry::angry::angry: