Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't get vegetables right. I need help

EggHead09
EggHead09 Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay I have gotten pretty good at doing everything else I have done so far and the only thing I am having problems with is vegetables. I cooked them in a bag of aluminum foil and that worked okay. They were good but the flavor of the grill was not there. So, I tried cooking them on the vegetable piece that has small holes in it that takes up about half of the grill top and the bottom of the vegtables burnt pretty badly but what was ontop was great. I turned them a time or two but tried not to disturb the vegetables too much because of the opening and closing of the BGE. This cook has been done at about 275-350 degrees depending on what I am cooking. I tried the same thing with indirect heat with the platesetter and the vegetables took longer to cook but with the same end result. What am I doing wrong. For seasoning mostly its just spices and a little bit of olive oil but that is sparingly used....

Matt

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You need to stir your veggies or get them in a pan...or cook them indirect.

Don't fret over opening the egg - I do it all the time unless I am doing a long low and slow cook. Opening it for 30 seconds to stir your veggies at 350* isn't going to affect anything.

Putting them in foil won't do you any favors - may as well cook them indoors (which I did tonight with my squash and onions - no shame in that at all).

I usually do my veggies in a cast iron skillet or a wok or paella pan. Rarely cook them direct unless I am doing kabobs - corn on the cob is the exception.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    You could try a ceramic baking dish either on a raised grid or on the plate setter legs down. Without knowing all the details I'd say you were either too close to the fire, or too much lump and the temps were too high. You have to watch veggies depending on what you are cooking.

Try some corn on the cob still in the shucks. Don't do anything to them, just put them on direct at about 325 rolling them every 10 to 15 minutes. They are awsome.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Egghead...I always cook my veggies direct. I toss them in a bowl with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs. Let them marinate in that for 10-15 minutes, and grill them direct, as I would a steak. (the salt helps to begin to pull some juices out of the veggies, it helps in the coook) You have to tend to them, but I have never had a problem. I get nice grill marks, and great flavor. Just my two cents.
    (Rod... :angry: ....I thought you said you were paying attention at Stats.... :angry: ) ;) LOL
  • EggHead09
    wonderful..I will try all of these ideas. I think moving them around a little more will give me the solution I desire. Thanks everybody. I'm going to try the corn in the shucks here pretty soon!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I was paying attention.....doesn't mean I do everything the same way.

Besides, I think the winners at that event did their veggies indirect.

(ooooo...BURN)

Mess with the bull and ya get the horns.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    I would get the temperature up to around 400/450 degrees with the veggie pan and toss and stir just till it gets a slight tad of browning or to your liking.Your temperature of 275/350 is a bit low.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Did they do veggies? I thought they did shanks. :whistle: :silly:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    same here. zukes and summer squash are great this way. i ave tried to improve them. only thing that made them slightly better than they already were ws a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

i like to do portabello mushrooms this way too. gils down, then gills up to finish. top with some tapenade on the turn, maybe a little grated parm.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EggHead09
    I am thinking about doing mushrooms with crabmeat and cream cheese on the grill too. I am actually very exvited about the idea! Thanks for everybody's help!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    How long does the corn take?

I'll do veggies in a grill pan, but if it's just zuchini, I'll slice them length wise and grill them direct without the pan. Less flipping to do and they don't fall between grill grates.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Personally I like the corn shucked. If you leave it in the husk it doesnt grill. I just rub a little eevo and some kosher salt and grill @350 ish for about 20-25 minutes. I find I can just press the kernals and if they are juicy they are done.
    Most of my veggies I have done have been indirect to avoid burning. Roasted peppers are just fantastic. I do a bunch up after my cook to put on sandwichs etc. I never never liked zucchini tell I tried it on the egg. Its so good.
    Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC06208JPGajpgb.jpg

Things that you normally cook in the oven, like this sweet potato or winter squash can either be cooked indirect or raised direct and can be done on the grate or in a pan.

DSC06211JPGa.jpg

I like to serve the sweet potato in the cavity of the squash.

DSC06598JPGa.jpg

These are my Pig Candied Yams, they have smoked bacon with a spicy brown sugar seasoning added for more flavor. You can do this same thing with regular potato's too. these were cooked in a baking dish sitting atop a pizza stone.

DSC03312a.jpg

Zucchini can be sliced lengthwise and grilled direct or indirect. When you stuff it (lengthwise or upright) I like it cooked indirect or on a raised grate, both in a pan or on some foil.

DSC07612a.jpg

If all else fails, just add veggies to a pan on a raised grate and treat it like you're cooking on the stovetop. Add your harder items first, like onion or carrots. I use a little olive oil and turn them often to balance the cooking.

throwdown7corn2.jpg

Throwdown7corn.jpg

Oh yeah, we can't forget corn. I soak mine about an hour, then just throw it on.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • @thirdeye what fantastic pictures! I came across this post looking for ways to grill veggies. Some great ideas here. I'm eager to try some of the suggestions.
    LBGE, MM, KABs

Fort Worth, TX

If it's worth doing, do it low and slow.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    EggHead09 said:
    wonderful..I will try all of these ideas. I think moving them around a little more will give me the solution I desire. Thanks everybody. I'm going to try the corn in the shucks here pretty soon!
    I would recommend you try the corn in and out of the husks and see which you prefer. You'll get a lot who fall on both sides of this one, but I like mine with more of a char that you just won't get without removing the husks. Either way will work. Corn on the grill is awesome.
    Stillwater, MN
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    EggHead09 said:
    I would recommend you try the corn in and out of the husks and see which you prefer. You'll get a lot who fall on both sides of this one, but I like mine with more of a char that you just won't get without removing the husks. Either way will work. Corn on the grill is awesome.

I find in the husk steams the corn a bit and keeps it juicy.  Out of the husk has a nice grilled flavor but not as juicy imho.  Both are worth trying though!