Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melted the Gasket

Options
Egghead
Egghead Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cranked up my BGE with the plate setter for Pizza and completely fried the gasket and completely burnt the pizza crust :( . Anyone know a quick easy way to clean the surface for the new gasket? I'm thinking I may have to take the lid right off to clean it properly. I've owned it for 6 weeks and this is my 3rd gasket, @30 buck a pop! I bought it assembled from the dealer, it was a demo they used twice at the store.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Tell your dealer you want the nomex gasket. If that fails call the retail store in Tucker..
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you have actually melted/burned 3 gaskets then you most likely have an alignment problem. If the lid and base sit flush with one another and the seal is tight then it shouldn't be burning up.
  • florida Nick
    florida Nick Posts: 101
    Options
    Since it was a demo does that mean you dont have the warranty for it? Tha gaskest on my XL failed after about a month so I contacted someone at BGE and got a new Nomex gasket sent to me free of charge.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ya contact Bruce at headquarters. He's very helpful.
  • old chief
    old chief Posts: 6
    Options
    I burned up my gasket about 6 months ago and have been getting along fine without a gasket.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Is the dealer charging you for the replacement gaskets?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    Just a side note, i have often wondered if people aren't replacing gaskets for no real reason, Mine is 3 years old and melted and totally solid looking, but I figure as long as I can close up the egg and extinguish the fire as well as hold 225 easily - it is fine.

Am I missing something here?
    In Maryland
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I agree. My gasket was almost 10 years old before I changed it. Reason I changed it is when I used the Guru smoke would be pouring out all around the egg. Not a very good seal. That started up in the past year or so. And it had been burned to next to nothing from years of use.

I used this site:

http://bubbatim.com/Projects.php

Good luck!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Pete,

Are you using the Nomex? Any comments?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    No all my eggs are doing just fine with the felt.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Melted while making Pizza! I'm astonished.
  • Egghead
    Options
    The gasket melted before the pizza went on. The Plate setter forces the heat out and around it, directly to the gaskets. They didn't stand a chance at 650 degrees. Getting the gasket glue off the surface is going to be at least a 2 hour project. My wife is pissed that she has to plant all the garden annuals herself this weekend.LOL
  • Egghead
    Options
    Is a Nomex Gasket better than the felt gasket? I think I am going to return the one I just bought and see if BGE will send me a replacement under warranty.

Even though it was the Store Demo, it was a BGE dealer and the same warranty applies, it was used twice before I picked it up. When I piced it up there was a 3/16th gap where the gasket joins on the base and the lid. Then the adhesive let go on the lid after one week. I replaced it. Now I just completely melted it. I will cook with out it.

Thanks for your reply.