Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg - Ideas on What to Cook First

Options
El Guapo
El Guapo Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought a new XL egg last night...just joined the forum a few minutes ago. Will be cooking on it for the first time this weekend. Any suggestions on what to cook first? Needs to be simple as I will be figuring the egg out, but I want to taste what the hype is about.

I've only cooked on gas grills, so be easy...it's my first time.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    cook whatever you are really used to cooking!! that way you will get a idea!

but if you stick around here past the initial learning curve you will have more ideas than you have meals to eat :laugh:

congrats on your first egg!!

and welcome to the forum

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. If you are looking for a "fool proof" first cook you might want to consider pork tenderloins. A little rub or glaze and toss them on. Only way to mess up is to over cook them. Many recipes for them right here in the forum cookbook.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • WestTexan
    WestTexan Posts: 37
    Options
    This might be too simple, but I'd go with burgers and/or sausages. It takes a little bit of learning to get the temps adjusted right, and these two things are very forgiving.
    Welcome to the club! You're gonna love it!
  • General-Lee Eggin'
    Options
    Hi El Guapo - Welcome to the forum...We had our first cook about a week ago and we cooked burgers which turned out great.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Welcome to the egghead family. One thing to remember on your first cook with charcoal is to let the white smoke from the charcoal clear before you put any food on, otherwise your food will have a real bad taste and let the temps stabilize on the egg. I did pork for my first cook.

Andres
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    El Guapo,

Learning the heat control is not that hard if you are cooking in the 350* range and higher. Try a steak if you want to impress. Let the smoke clear an stabilise your temp before you put the meat on and don't adjusts when it drops initially, it will come back.
    Welcome and we like pictures

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Welcome aboard !!
  • El Guapo
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I might start with burgers on Saturday and some pork tenderloin on Sunday (we cook a decent amount of pork tenderloin).

I can search the recipes on this forum, but does anyone have a really good burger or pork tenderloing recipe?

Thanks,

David
    (El Guapo)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Gongrats on your 1st and welcome!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    Congrads and welcome.
    I did a roast of beef for my 1st. Handful of Mesquite chips and slow cooked at 250. Good learning process.
    A few racks of ribs wouldn't be a bad choice either.
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    I'm a newbie also with 3 cooks under my belt. Started off with Spatchcock Chicken. Easy and wonderful. Progressed to Plank Salmon. Super easy and great. The third cook was Standing Rib Roast using Thirdeye's recipe. Man what a treat and the best cook yet. One other thing, this site is a awesome place to post and learn.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Nothing really is too difficult. Heck start off with some nice baby back ribs. Do you have a plate setter or some type of heat shield? If so put it in legs up. Put in some type of pan to catch the grease then the grid.

Grab dem ribs, pull the membrane off the back, rub em down real good with some good rub, and lay em on the grid bones down.

Run em from about 250 dome for about 5 to 6 hrs. At the 1/2 way point, start basting with apple juice and apple cider vinegar on the hour. Then sauce about 20 minutes before pulling off. :P
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    Welcome El Guapo.

Congrats on your new purchase. The only regret will be that you didn't get it sooner!!!

If you have a Sam's near you, they have a great Roasted Raspberry Chiptotle Sauce by Fischer & Wieser. They even have a pork tenderloin recipe on the back of the label.

Get grillin'!
  • El Guapo
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice...I'm overwhelmed. I'll make a post after I cook a few things and fill everyone in...might even take a few pics.

Thanks

David