Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger...First Run

BigMojo
BigMojo Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off...Hey there. This is my first post, so, I'm buying a round of your favorite beverages.

After lurking around here, asking around, and checking out a demo of the Egg, I took the leap with my new wife, and we dropped some wedding cash on a Large with nest, wings and plate setter. I was looking for it as an accompaniment to my big gasser, and to do some real smoking. We picked our new egg up on Saturday, and gave it it's first run on Sunday. I must admit, I was extremely happy with how easy it was to get going and set a temp for smoking. I had it leveled out at 250 within a half hour and added some soaked hickory chips and barely had to do any tweeks the rest of the day.

I had a 3.5lb boneless butt laying around begging to get used, so that was our trial subject. On at 9am, off at 6pm, and it was just the way we like it. Here's some pics:
It looks so little...(don't worry a standard 9lb bone-in is next!
4194_79848892361_508032361_1840620_.jpg

Love the true smoke ring...after taking this slice, I pulled the rest.
4194_79861532361_508032361_1840734_.jpg

Made chicken breasts last night...just as awesome, and didn't take much longer than getting the gasser going.

I'm hooked. Already looking to get the thing to raise the grate to just below the felt line, grilling was a little awkward. Any other recommended "bolt-ons" one must have to be a true egghead?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    You will probly use the gasser as a storage unit for all your Egg stuff. Also, no need to get the wood wet and chunks work better than chips. You're going to have to get used to moist, delicious, perfect food. Good luck.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Recs:
    1) Retire the gasser! - good place to store all the new toys you will be acquiring
    2) No need to soak wood chips or chunks like you did in the gasser.
    3) Spend some time with the bride - don't become a true Egghead too quickly. :silly:
    4) Thirdhand grill lifter - a must http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html
    5) Spider/adjustable rig combo from the ceramic grill store - use mine on almost all cooks. www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    6) Thermapen instant thermometer - also a must!
    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

That's enough to get you in the 'doghouse'. :woohoo: :evil:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    8 seconds Clark, :laugh:
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Welcome to egg-land!

I still have my gasser. I use it mostly for quick-cooks (one-person-quick-I-gotta-eat meals). And yes, I do keep a few things in it for the egg LOL.

Everything else gets eggatized.

Tonight it'll be pork chops: 1 1/2" thick, stuffed with pesto and feta.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A great wedding gift to yourselves. In a few years, my Eggs have seen more use than the decades the china and silver set have seen. Maybe the mother-ship should start a gift registry.

I'll second the thermapen as a must have. You will be able to use it for everything, not just Egg cooks.

The accessory I use most is a weed-burner with MAPP gas attached for quick starts. The long nozzle keeps the flame well away from the hands, and as small fire can be started in 15 seconds, a really big one in 1.5 mins.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Welcome and looks like you are off to a great start. Try to make it to an eggfest. Just be very wary about some people with takillya shots. :woohoo: :woohoo: Getting ice at 3am for more drinks is not good. :ohmy:
    Or getting ice when they are serving breakfast. :silly:

Mike
  • BigMojo
    Thanks everyone...

I soaked the chips thinking from prior experience with my electric smoker (which is now on Craig's List). It was actually the wife's idea to let me get the Egg, I do all the cooking, so, she figures she benefits just as much.

So y'all recommend the instant read? I currently have a probe that sends to a remote unit for continual read. It seems to work well.

I plan to keep the gasser for bigger parties when I have to do 100 hot dogs.
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    You will want both thermometers. The instant read is great for grilling smaller cuts and the remote unit perfect for leaving it in large cuts. Before long you will be looking into a Stoker or BBQ Guru unit most likely.

What part of the world are you from?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    man-o-man, you gotta save that first picture. Everything looks so clean and new. Not a sauce stain or burn mark insight.

You'll find that pic. a year from now and do a quick run down memory lane.....LOL.
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Great job!! That looks delicious!!!
  • BigMojo
    DHall wrote:
    What part of the world are you from?

I'm in the Ft.Lauderdale, FL area.
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Congratulations on your BGE, it's a blast to use and the food is outstanding.

I notice in your picture that the felt gasket is beginning to separate. This is a manufacturing problem with the adhesive on the felt. I know that some people use their Eggs without the gasket, but if you plan to cook with the gasket, you may want to replace it before you develop a problem. Your new BGE should have come with a new gasket from the manufacturer, as they are aware of the adhesive problem. While your Egg is fresh and clean, remove the gasket, scrape off any residual adhesive, spray some 3M Super 77 adhesive onto the rims (there are videos and many threads demonstrating this procedure), and apply the new gasket. This is very simple to do and the only hard part is waiting 24 hours without using the Egg so that the new adhesive can cure.

Welcome to the club!

Mike
  • Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Yep, Mike couldn't have said it better about the waiting part. That was a really long 24 hrs. But it works, two pizza days and one T REX London Broil and gasket is still intact.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Welcome to the club! Nice to see you got raked into the quality of food, just like we did.
    You are correct, grilling with the low grid on a large is a bit of a challenge.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Yeah, I was distracted and didn't finish looking up the links fast enough! :ohmy:
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Congrats...looks great!
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Welcome to Eggland. The more you cook on the EGG the more you will love it, and the gasser will only stand in the corner if you dont give it away.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Great job! WELCOME to the forum. Nice looking butt. :blush:
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Congrats on the wedding and the egg. Butt looks delicious. 100 hotdogs? Must have some parties.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Big 'Un...Sorry you gotta work so hard!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: ;) Sorry...couldn't resist! :evil: Have a great night! :)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I'm working like a dog! :laugh: :woohoo: