Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Diameter of a small

Options
Ripnem
Ripnem Posts: 5,511
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doin a little work on an Egg table and want to frame one end of it for a small that will be knocked off my list soon. I will want it raised out of the table top a few inches. Is anyone near a small and can give me a rough measurement a few inches down from the rim? Even the diameter at the rim would be good enough for framing the opening.

Thanks

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    .Because of the hinge the best I can get is at bottom of the lower band. Looks like 49 1/8Th.

Keep in mind not all tapes measure the same. LOL
    I would wait for to see if anyone confirms my measurement. :(

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Ripnem
    Options
    CMs...I've got an app. for that;)
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Something up. You say you used a tape? 49 1/8....what units is your tape?
  • Bordello
    Options
    LOL

Let me know if you need more info.
    Ha,
    Got to get me before I go to the pub. About 10:30 or so. OH, AZ time. It's 9 now.

I would have take a picture of the tape around the small but not enough hands. :(

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Around the egg..ok now I can see. That's the circumference...I can do the math. Thanks
  • Bordello
    Options
    Glad you caught that, it's been a very long time since I've been in school. :whistle:

Pocket tape, 10 Ft long. 1/8 units.

I measured right at the bottom of the band, where it sits on the ridge.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Adam,
    I wanted my small to be the same height from the top as my large. That measurement is 4". Like this...
    IMG_0165.jpg

Then since I wanted clearance so the wood wasn't too close I cut the diameter of 15.5".

Note the drawer I made to use as the riser. It's handy for small tools etc.
    IMG_0166.jpg

BTW that's just a partial amount of my moon rock collection!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Hi Ron,
    My measurement was taken on the ridge/lip the lower band sits on. Your picture shows it well.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Big help guys, thanks.

Now I have to deal with this incredible force...I feel I'm being sucked in by a dealer near me. Dangit, i have great self control when it comes to swingin a shotgun and reeling in fish but the small egg has powers that are inexplicable. After all the table won't be complete without it. Right? Besides my little wifie is in Hawaii for another 10 months.....Soooo. I'm outa here. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Ya only goround once B) Unless your "Spawn" :ermm:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    You're saying the height difference (base to rim) in 4" between a large and a small? I was under the impression the difference was 5".

I don't have a small yet, but was planning to use 5" as the calculation when building my cabinets.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    LOL - I'll split the difference with you! On closer examination mine is 4.5".
    IMG_0167.jpg

Key here is you need at least 4.5 so that the hinge won't hit the top. Ah heck - go with the 5" and be done with it! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Ya could try what my wife does to me (no proof, just a hunch :unsure: ) and upon her safe return tell her that the small has been here a long time and she just doesn't remember :whistle:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    A little misunderstanding.

I was referring to the height difference between the large and small eggs (not necessarily in relation to the table top). From the base of the Egg to the rim - so I will know what height differences to build the cabinets under the eggs to make them level at the counter level (was told the difference is 5").
    I will not have cut-outs, but will have them sitting open, similar to Lab Rat and SNN686.

THX