Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time London Broil - any suggestions?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to do a London Broil for the first time this week. Any suggestions on prep, cooking, etc.?

Comments

• Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    Super T,[p]Try The Naked Whiz'z supreme instructions at:[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/londonbr.htm

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    london_broil_003.jpg
    <p />Super T,[p]Not doubting the Whiz's method at all, but I did my first London Broil about a week ago. I was trying the T-Rex method, and it came out really well. [p]I rubbed down with CowLick and mustard the day before, and wrapped and stuck in the fridge. Then day of the cook I fired up the egg, and seared both sides at 650+ for 2 minutes each. After a 20 minute rest, I added some mesquite chunks, then put it back put back on at 375 until I hit 135 internal.[p]YUM !![p]Cheers -[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Just took a look at that delicious picture and am wondering if it was cooked rare or medium. I'm new at this and am confused as to what the coloring should be for different doneness; rare, medium, medium well etc.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Eggserroneous,[p]I would consider that a perfect medium rare. I have seen that picture at home and work, and the colors look a bit different based on the monitors I am using. Neither picture makes it look as good as it did on the plate. [p]Bright pink - rare. Red center - medium. Slight red in the center - medium well. Then go with the variations.[p]Here are some nice rules of thumb, posted previously by Nature Boy I believe if you go based on temperature:[p]Boston Butt / Brisket – 200
    Steaks 125 rare, 135 medium rare, 140 medium
    Ribs 180-190
    Chicken: breasts-165 Thighs-180
    Turkey – 160 breast 170 Thigh
    Pork chops / Tenderloin: 145[p]Hope this helps![p]- Mike[p]

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Super T,[p]What piece of meat are you using for a "London Broil"? A piece of round like Charcola Mike or a piece of flank or plate? Charcoal Mike has a pretty good procedure that works well for the thicker round cuts, but flank just needs a good sear on both sides. Overcooking flank and plate/skirt can result in a tough and dry piece of meat if you go above medium.[p]No matter what section of the cow you are using, be sure to make thin slices across the grain. [p]ashley