Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

med egg story

Options
giantwing
giantwing Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well my year old egg ( which I love ) has a burnt gasket. I called my dealer who ordered one from head office. (he was charged for it, i had thought they were send at n/c.) They sent a felt gasket and my dealer had not heard of the nomex.
Anyway the tech came to my house (nice) and replaced gasket. I had also complained that the lid did not align properly with the bottom. He tried tightning the bands but that just increased the alignment problem. It is strange because only a 1/4 of the lid is out of sync.
It is just to the right of the handle.
Anyway it is back at the shop so I hope everything will be fine. I wonder how long the new gasket will last?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I had a similar problem with alignment with one of my med Eggs. Don't recall what precisely I did, but I know it wasn't the bands. At any rate, the shop should be able to fix it pretty easily. I think with just me messing with it, third time was the charm.
  • So they're replacing your gasket free of charge? And they picked up your egg to fix it? I'm asking, because if my gasket continues to burn at its present rate, it will be gone before 6 months are up.
  • giantwing
    giantwing Posts: 189
    Options
    Yes, Apparantly the company will send you one for free. I asked my dealer to put it on so if I had another problem they would deal with it. My dealer wanted me to bring egg in but I got a call saying they were in the area so they came to me.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I think it best to get this free replacement notion off the table. About a year ago there started to be a problem with the adhesive on gaskets and they would fail almost immediately. So if yours has been on for a year then that's just routine BGE maintenance. When new buyers complain Atlanta is sending free Nomex to them, but I don't believe you qualify and yes you would be charged. BTW you have a terrific dealer to be doing what they are for you - as that is far above norm!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Paul58
    Paul58 Posts: 79
    Options
    I e-mail BGE HQ and they sent me a new Nomex Gasket, but like previously mentioned, my felt gasket fell off after the 5th or 6th cook and our Medium Egg is just 4 weeks old.