Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium or Small

Options
Turkeyspurs
Turkeyspurs Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a 5th wheel camper and want to get another egg for camping. Is the medium to heavy to tote around. Need as much cooking surface as I can get as we camp with 2 other couples. Thanks to all. Trey

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Turkeyspurs,
    The medium is about 100 pounds. The small is about 65 pounds. How much totin' you figuring on doing? I imagine that if you rigged up some sort of strap and handles, two people could move 100 pounds without too much trouble. I've thought about taking a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and cutting a ring that you could slip under the egg and up, that would just come up to the lip. Then put a couple of rope handles through the ring and 2 people could handle it. But the small can do 2 butts, probably 2 chickens (not spatchcocked, tho). Maybe some of the other small owners can tell you what they can get out of a small.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Turkeyspurs, my sister in law borrowed my small to take to the beach last week and cooked for 9 adults on it. She said it was easier to use than using the electric stove.

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]A nylon web strap can easily be crafted into a cradle for a small using the two inch stuff. I think that is the size I used. A fellow at a saddle shop made it for me, but I had to take it over to his shop. He basically made a strap to go around the egg that would ride under the collar on the bottom piece. Then attached two pieces to cross under the bottom and attach to the piece under the collar. A couple of handles were attached to the piece under the collar as well, but needed some kind of handle material so it wouldn't cut into your hands. Took it back and had him run the handle straps thru some short pieces of pvc. This works very well. 20 bucks or should get you in business. I don't see why you couldn't make one using bigger strapping for a medium, but I think two people would be easier to carry it...... I know the small seemed to be heavier than 65# at times, especially when carrying it thru thick sand from the boat for a shore lunch for clients.[p]If you have someone that welds, you can have a collar made of stainless with a felt lining. The collar will rest just under the lip below the bottom of the hinge. Then you can add a handle like you would find on a five gallon bucket. More expensive, but would look better than the nylon.....[p]I don't have the small down here with me, but I'll try to take a picture of this setup when I get back to my other home. I know a picture is worth a lot for most folks, including myself. :`)[p]HTH,
    Ashley