Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

has any one ever...

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have an extra large crockpot and the electrical components have failed and appear to be beyond repair. i was thinking of using the earthenware/ceramic pot for cooking chili or other stews in the egg.

has anyone done something like this? any thoughts on maximum temps? i suspect i would only use in an indirect setup.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Never done it, but 350F indirect probably would survive.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Saw a pic here a couple of days ago with a crockpot sitting in the Egg so someone is using it.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have seen several posts with pics that looked like a salvaged coock pot for a cooking container.I have one myself.Haven't used yet but will.I would only use with a heat barrier.Platesetter,pizza stone,etc. ;)
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    thanks for your input.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I made 28 lbs. of pulled pork for a tailgate. I put some of it in my crockpot (hot) and put it in a cooler. Off it went to the game (I did not go). It stayed plenty hot before the game, but after, someone had a great idea to put the ceramic crock pot insert on a gas grill in the parking lot for the after party.

When I got my crock pot and ceramic insert back there was a Large crack right down the side of the ceramic dish. Luckily it didn't shatter and no one got hurt. Now, I have no idea how hot the gas grill was but I would be very careful using it on any sort of heat other than what it was intended for.

Yes, they bought me a new crock pot.
    Faith
    Tampa, Fl
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I had the very same question and just wasn’t sure….
    I did go ahead and use it, keeping the temp. to about 350 F. Everything worked fine! But I do think that it can quickly get way too hot!
    So my thought is that keeping everything under, say the 400 F. mark, may be of benefit all around.
    Also remember that quickly going from cold to hot (which may have been what happened to “Florida Grillin Girl”) isn’t a good thing with a ceramic pot!
    Go slow. Keep it kinda low...And it should be OK!
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    I use the earthenware pot for baking bread all the time. The temp is 500 and never had a problem. B)