Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking ribs while away from the house?

Options
jld
jld Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to stick some ribs on tomorrow AM before I head to work. I live close to work, so I can swing by during the middle of the day to check up.

Any advice on making this turn out well?

Thanks!

John

Comments

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Make sure your temp is STABLE before you put the ribs on. Don't touch the vent settings that gave you that stable temp when the temp falls just after you fill the egg with a lot of cold meat. It will slowly come back while you are at work.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    What if you set them up indirect 225F at the mid day turn and then when you get home take care of business. Yeh I know you have to get the BGE hot, Could that be done in the early morning? will burn some charcoal, but might work.
  • jld
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I've got a guru to control the temp. Any advice on a good temp to cook these ribs in ~9 hours?
  • jld
    Options
    5LBs of spare ribs, btw...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options

if they are spares, i go 9 hours without opening the lid.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jld
    Options
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    Oh wow... ok.. so

Yes I'm new here, so please nobody flame me.

but..

Are you insane??

Never... I repeat NEVER would i leave the egg burning unattended while I trotted off to work. Even overnight with Maverick alarms up the wazoo (and the dog to alert me :) ) I get nervous as hell...

Sorry, but it's just a disaster waiting to happen. Call in sick or something.
  • stike
    Options
    sure as hell ain't 250 direct for nine hours.
    hahahaha
  • jld
    Options
    Absolutely great point. Egg is in a nest on a concrete patio about 20 feet from anything combustible, and it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. I'm not worried.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I am with you. I have a similar setup and have no problems leaving mine unattended. I have never had an issue. I do know that there have been some on here that have had wood decks catch on fire though :(
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    JL...I would recommend 225(with Guru!), and obviously, indirect. 9 hours is a long cook, even for spares. Check on em mid day, spritz, and increase to 250 mid day.
    Coming home 4 hours later, ready for sauce! Another hour with sauce, and ready to go!
    As long as you are prudent about combustibles surrounding the Egg, we have NO problem leaving it unattended (in a contolled burn)....kinda like a Crock Pot! Stabilized Egg + Guru = No Problem (unless you got it set in a pile of pine needles...) ;) :huh:
    Happy cookin!
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL

PS...Any wood decks caught on fire must have been a direct result of dropping lit coals on it....the Egg is as safe as it comes in its nest.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    why not, it sould have a nice crust by then....hahahaha
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    Options
    Start early enough that you have a very stable temp before putting the ribs on and leaving the house. I regularly do ribs this way for Sunday dinner, putting them on while getting ready for church, and pulling them once the preacher finishes.
  • stike
    Options
    apologies to jld. wasn't laughing at his question, so much as the thought of toasted ribs after nine hours direct. ...though fishless goes direct with ribs all the time. dunno if he goes 9 hours though
  • stike
    Options
    how long is church? :blink: