Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

butt done too early

Options
JohnB
JohnB Posts: 183
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked a butt overnight for a friend's party today at 6:00. Its 11:45 AM and the butt is at 200 degrees, so I need to take it off the egg. I'm going to foil it and put it in a cooler wrapped in newspaper. My question is: will this thing be OK 5 1/2 hours from now when we start to pull it?

thanks in advance

Comments

• BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    I've kept them warm in a cooler for about 4 to 5 hours. But that was with 4 big butts in one cooler so there was a lot heat. I have never done newspaper. I usually double wrap in foil and then wrap them up in a beach towel. The results have been good.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    It should be OK. Stick a remote thermo in it before you foil it, You can run the wire out of the cooler and watch the temp. The other option is to set the oven to bake at 170* and put the foiled butt in it. You are going to be just fine holding the butt. It is going to make it very tender and easy to pull.
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    thanks for the feedback. I also have a fire brick I used to raise my second grid above a drip pan. I may throw that in the cooler in an hour or two.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Just make sure you don't melt the cooler :sick: but that will definitely help to keep the butt warm. If you have a big enough tub, you can run the hotest water from your faucet in the cooler. Close it up and let it sit. This will pre-warm the cooler to aid in your efforts.