Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possible Buyers Remorse - Need Egghead help

Options
JackBurton
JackBurton Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a large egg a couple of weeks ago and I'm feeling a little guilty about the price. I was going to buy a Weber gas grill and the sales person and my wife talked me into the egg. Here's why I'm feeling guilty

1. I got an egg, med table on wheels, place setter, pizza stone, ash tool, ash pan and charcoal. Pricey. That's a lot to spend in this current economic client.

2. I don't do a lot of slow cooking. I would make some beer butt chicken on the kettle grill from time to time, but 2-3 hours was the longest I would cook. We tend to do a lot of steaks, burgers, hot dogs, chickens, quesadillas, and pork steaks. Most are 20-40 minute cooks. Will these shorter cooks at higher temps ruin gaskets and make me replace them frequently?

3. The sales person said 1 bag of charcoal equals 3-4 tanks of propane. Now I haven't cooked that much yet, but so far I think this may be a load of BS. And a bag of BGE charcoal is more than a tank of propane. Again, the money issue.

4. I know there is a learning curve on the egg, and it's been a little frustrating so far. My first burgers were a disaster. I think I started too soon and the coals weren't ready. Lots of bad smoke flavor that made me sick. My first attempt at pizza was really bad too.

Here are the good points so far:

1. Chicken thighs the other night came out great. 40 minutes on the egg, skin crispy and tasty. Second attempt at burgers much better. I'm looking forward to trying some ribs soon and some beer butt birds. Need to try pizzas again too (we love pizza).

2. I know other than gasket there is little I should have to replace on the grill for years (possibly 10 or more). The thing is a tank and should last a lifetime as long as I take care of it. Parts need to be replaced on gas grills a lot.

3. I might get into slow cooks. Never really had the equipment so I might love it once I figure it out.

Mostly all I see is the negatives with the cost and such. My egg came from the bad lot of gaskets. It came with a spare, but I'm also worried I might mess up the replacement when the time comes. I guess what I really need is have some eggheads with a lot more experience reinforce the positives .

Sorry this was a long post, but any praise y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

JackBurton

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Jack,

Welcome to the Egghead Cult!

There is definitely a learning curve, especially if coming from using a gasser. You already seem to be making progress!

1) You have to let the bad smoke burn off, until you get clear, bluish smoke.

2) You can buy Royal Oak lump (they make BGE's lump) at Wal Mart for a much better price.

3) Make sure you completely close the bottom vent and replace the ceramic cap as soon as you are through cooking. That way you save the max. amount of lump for the next cook.

4) Make sure you stir the old lump well and get the ashes out of the firebox; unplug the holes that have small pieces of lump in them and keep the ash box clean.

5) Keep reading here and asking questions. This is a great family with a HUGE collective experience and we will have you cooking like a pro before long!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    JB,

check out sites like the Naked Whiz as well. Try some of the recipes on here, and once you get them down, modify to add your own taste...

Try the more forgiving long cooks like chicken, pork butt etc...I find these deal a little better with temp variation until you master that part of the egg.

What part of the country are you in? That will matter as far as accessability to lump etc. Also if you are doing short cooks, I find cheaper lump found in Home depots etc like Cowboy and Kingsford work fine.

Luckily I have a good supply of Wicked Good up here in the Northeast.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    It looks like you've learned your lesson about letting the charcoal burn off for a bit before cooking. Pizza seems to be especially susceptible to the off flavors. Another tip about this issue. If you have drippings that have not been burned off, as often happens with low-slow cooks over the plate setter, they will have the same effect. I had a pizza turn out awful after a butt cook. The solution is to bring the egg up to high temp after your low-slow to burn off the fat and juices. That way you don't need to worry about it on your next cook.

As stated above, Royal Oak is available much cheaper than BGE charcoal. But I do find myself going through a lot of it, particularly for high-temp cooks like pizza and such.

If you want to get over the buyers remorse, make your first batch of ribs.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Just keep posing questions here on the forum. You will get lots of great advice for your cooks. The egg will deliver great steaks and burgers. The world of low and slow is just around the corner. Once you master pulled pork you may do it a couple of times a months. Pulled pork is a very low cost meal. Pizza is so easy to do on the egg and it has a great stone oven taste. Good luck in the future. I don't think you will regreat your decision. Good luck to all. Tom Pulledpork1.jpgIMG_0730.jpgIMG_0627.jpgSautepeppersonionspeperonipizza1.jpg
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    On the lump/propane issue, I go through a 20# bag in about 8 days on average, but my Eggs are my grills, my ovens and my smokers and I use them A LOT. Mark
  • Mr. D
    Mr. D Posts: 32
    Options
    Don't woory about the infamous seal, had mine go out after 3 cooks, went to my supplier, I was given the new and improved one, bought a can of 3M 88 adheasive, scraped the old gasket off was done in 10 minutes. Allow time for everything to set ( 48 hrs ) Been cookin ever since
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I perfectly understand feeling pressure about the cost of the Egg. It took me about 6 months to talk myself into it. Well, actually, more like a year. Among the big pluses were not having to replace every few years and being able to cook year round. Except for really bad weather, I cook maybe 80 percent of the food I used to cook in the oven. So its a good alternative to my range. And the flavor of a Christmas goose coming off the Egg in December is like a ray of sun in the dark of the snowy and cold winters where I live.

FWIW, I also priced metal offset cookers before getting the Egg, as BBQ was what I wanted to cook. The Egg is quite competitive in that regard. I couldn't find a decent off-set for less than $350, and that price did not include some assembly.

Once you get the hang of temperature control, slow cooks are pretty much a lazy man's delight. Put on the ribs, butt, whatever, and check back every few hours.

Most folks here find that what they can cook from the Egg is so much better, and cheaper, than restaurant food, that dining-out really drops off. After some practice, my ribs are good enough that my wife won't bother with any made commercially round about. She also wondered why I chose to make beef short ribs for my last birthday, instead of steak. When I brought in the melting tender and juicy ribs, she had to admit they were as good as most steaks.

So hang in there. The Egg will gradually pay for itself. Do go for less expensive lump. It usually works pretty well. I've found that using a weed burner for starting is quite inexpensive, maybe .08 a start, and its very quick.
  • SoDakEgger
    SoDakEgger Posts: 122
    Options
    Hang in there. There is a learning curve with the egg, especially if you have been used to cooking on a gas grill. I have never owned a gas grill myself. I went from a standard Weber kettle to a large BGE. It still took me a little while to get used to getting the temps on the Egg nailed down. People can give various rules on where to set vents, but only time and experience earned through trial and error will help you learn how to control temperatures.

As to charcoal, you will use more than what you think. Yes, it can last a long time, but how long depends on the sorts of cooks you are doing and how often. You can experiment with different brands of charcoal. We have a big box retailer around here that sells 8 pound bags, or whatever size they are, of Royal Oak lump for less than 5 bucks a bag. I generally use about two a month. Other retailers are starting to offer other types of lump. The Naked Whiz has a lump database you can use to research different brands before you buy.

Gaskets are overrated and cheap enough. I've had my BGE for almost two years and my gasket is completely fried. It has been relegated to a largely symbolic existence, but it doesn't stop me from cooking anything. I'll replace it this summer. No biggie.

If you really like to cook, stick with the Egg. It will do everything any gas grill will do, but it will do soooo many things that a gas grill cannot. You've purchased a lifetime of opportunities and possibilities.

As far as price, I am now on my economy soapbox. Granted, what is affordable is relative to individual consumers. Furthermore, there are a lot of people out there who are encountering very real difficulties- loss of jobs, etc. Nevertheless, there are people who have not encountered such dramatic impacts and do have some money to spend. Spend it. There seems to be a pervasive group bunker mentality that things are bad and nobody can or should spend any money. We need to get over that. People who make and sell lump charcoal count on people to buy it. Same goes for folks who make spice rubs and sauces, people who raise livestock, and people who make gaskets. No one should spend beyond their means, but underspending while waiting for the United States government to throw billions of dollars at large institutions that owe more money to other large institutions, is not going to do anyone any good.

Keep that Egg. Buy some more lump. Buy some Dizzy Pig rubs. Buy some locally raised pork and beef. Enjoy the journey. In six months, I'll bet you will giggle that you ever thought about getting rid of it.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Just a couple of more pics to get you motivated. I have had my egg for over 10 years and have no regrest. I have not changed out my original gasket or lower vent door. I have had 2 fire boxes replaced under warrenty. The egg is low maintenance. Good luck to all. Tom CABBrisketcook2.jpgBabybackcookMarch4.jpgScallopKabob.jpg
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    What city do you live in? There is an Egger in every city waiting to help and eat.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I agree with the advice you've been given here. I have had a large for 13 years, never replaced anything on it.
    How many gas grills would I have gone through in that time?? I also have found that the lump is cheaper than gas.

I also recommend going to an eggfest.

Good luck and enjoy!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dont think of the money spent, think of the money saved. once you get the steak cook down you wont be eating steak at the resteraunt, you will be looking at the cheaper options like burgers. why buy an expensive steak at a resteraunt when you can do much better at home for less money.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Your dealer was full of BS about the charcoal, but I think you will forget about the initial investment soon and the charcoal cost might be offset by your neighbors bringing you meat to cook. Keep coming back here every day and you will become a much better cook than you imagine and you will probably never regret your egg purchase. Here are some things you might end up cooking: crab cakes, abt's, meat loaf, turkey, pastrami, jerky, sausage, asparagus, squash, baked potatoes, brisket, pulled pork, alder planked salmon, seared tuna, steamed sea bass on a bed of spinach, stir fry... it never ends

Smoked cheese

DSCF1608.jpg

Prime rib

DSCF0640.jpg

Smoked Almonds

IMG_6156.jpg

Meat balls

IMG_6036-1.jpg

Steaks

ribeye2.jpg
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    We commented recently that we are going out to dinner less frequently, since I have geared up my cooks on the Egg.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a big learning curve when I first switched from gas to BGE, but for all the early frustrations there were more successes.

Your dealer was full of it (though maybe he actually believed it) in his propane to Lump consumption comparison. I used 1 tank of propane per year. I go through 1 bag of lump in a week to a month. That said, it's because I cook on the Egg A LOT more than I ever did on the gasser!

Yeah the Egg is a pricy initial investment, but the thing is going to last forever. Your kids'll be fighting over it when you're gone! (I had my kids sign the underside of my table when I finished buiding it so when one of them inherits it, it will bring back memories.)

Hang in there, you'll get used to it and become as addicted as the rest of us before you know it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We tend to do a lot of steaks, burgers, hot dogs, chickens, quesadillas, and pork steaks. Most are 20-40 minute cooks. Will these shorter cooks at higher temps ruin gaskets and make me replace them frequently?

You can cook those all at 400 which is not a high temp cook (though I never made quesadillas, so I don't know about that).

Pizza is the hottest thing to cook probably and there are many here who cook them at 450.
    If you have a thick crust and lots of toppings a lower temp (like 450) mmakes more sense than 600.

I think of 600 as the low end of high temp. cooking.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    one thing ive learned is you need to have a food that you like to eat at resteraunts and never make the mistake of making it at home. the big drop off for me was pizza delivery, i have not had a pizza delivered to my house for years and pre egg that was a weekly occurance.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Your sense of guilt about the money expended will fade when all you friends say, "I gotta get me one of those". You will instantly be transformed into a trend setter.
  • Keving
    Keving Posts: 36
    Options
    People not buying stuff because the economy is bad is why the economy is bad. When you get to the point where you want to cook beer butt chicken, butts, and ribs, you will be very glad you bought it. I don't know where the guy got the bag of charcoal to 3 tanks of propane from, but I have cooked for a total of 10 hours or more on 1 load of charcoal at 3 different cooks. It is really nice to be able to close things off and the fire go out to save your charcoal. I also think you will love the taste of the food off the egg way more than gas. I have cooked in competitions and won awards with other grills, and I haven't cooked anything better than what I am doing on my egg. I have only had the egg for a few months, and am loving it so far.
  • Coacher
    Coacher Posts: 22
    Options
    How many hundreds of dollars have you spent over your lifetime on gas grills and replacement parts? As far as I can tell, you buy the Egg and you are one and done less any shipping cost for guaranteed parts :) .

I am the biggest cheap skate out there, my wife hates it. However, there are some things you don't skimp on, in my world a good grill is one of them :blush: .

Now go TREX a ribeye and let me know if you are still uncertain about your purchase :evil: .

Coacher
  • Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    JackBurton wrote:
    I just bought a large egg a couple of weeks ago and I'm feeling a little guilty about the price.

Not as bad as my brother. He bought a $5000 Viking gasser and now realizes he should have bought an $800 Egg. :laugh:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Relax Jack!

Good things come to those who wait. Along with the eggcellent advise already posted, do what I do. I start my egg and grab a beer and sit and watch it. I am thinking about how great the food will taste once I put it on. Then grab another beer.

Research is the key. I came here and read everything and followed the advice and have never had anything bad off the egg (except that one corned beef that I just threw on without researching about salt :unsure: ). I have a large and a small. The gasket on the small fell off after two weeks. I simply pulled both off, placed on paper, sprayed with 3M77 and stuck back on and voilà, not a problem in 6 months now. The large 4 year old gasket is original, pounded flat and black, but will rip a dollar bill in half all the way around.

Relax Jack!
  • JackBurton
    Options
    Thanks a lot to everyone!!!!! I really feel warm and fuzzy about the posts. :) A lot of times nitch groups can be standoff-ish and excluding, but this is really reassuring. Now I know why they talk about a real sense of community around here.

To answer some of the questions, I live in Belleville, IL which is about 30 minutes east of St. Louis on the Illinois side just over the Mississippi. I might have to do some hunting and see if anyone else is around. I bought my egg from a dealer right here in town so I'm sure there are others of us out there. Might have to work on a meet and greet or something like that.

I do know shutting the cap and bottom grate after a cook saves a lot of charcoal. I filled about half - way up the ring and have done 3 or 4 cooks off the same charcoal with a little left over. And thanks about the tip on Royal lump. I might have to check that out.

I'm trying to decide on my cook this weekend, so we'll have to wait and see what I put in the egg. Don't know if I want Beer butt or ribs. Hell, there are two days to the weekend, so maybe both.

All the words of encouragement have helped me feel better. I know this is an investment and the grill should last a lifetime. Thanks again to everyone. I'm really starting to get excited for the weekend so I can experiment.

Thanks for making a newb feel like part of the family already!!
  • Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    My dad taught me in the 50's how to outdoor cook using briquets and gasoline. :woohoo:

And one thing I've learnt cooking with charcoal is...you never quit learnin'...I've ruined a few animals. :lol:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    At first thought, eggs & accessories are expensive. My first egg, large, next, eggmates, 1 bag lump, V rack cost me $1,150. No discounts and probably higher than retail out this way. Since I purchased my large I have bought a medium, small and mini all at no or very little discount.

With that said, I have spent much more money on gas grills and smokers than I have spent for all my eggs and egg accessories.

Comparing lump to propane is hard to do. Cooking with propane has a off taste. There is also a unique taste when using a gas smoker and water is required in an attempt to keep the the food moist - which never happens compared to egg cooking.

When using a gas grill I would cook maybe 1 meal 3 times a week. In the winter, sub zero, I would cook on the gas grill 1 or 2 times a month if that.

Since getting the egg, I cook at least 6 days out of the week. Warmer weather it is not uncommon to cook 2 and sometimes 3 meals a day. Winter, sub zero weather & snow, 5 days a week and I think the minimum was 3 days a week.

Make sure you watch the video that came with your egg. If your gasket goes out, get it replaced with a Nomex gasket. You won't have problems after that.

Make sure you ask questions here when you have problems or are wondering about some aspect of cooking or the egg. This spot is one of the best values of the egg.

I have to say in 2 years I have had only 1 bad cook. I over cooked some nuts.

If you haven't done so already, buy a Thermoworks Thermopen thermometer and cook your food to temperature - don't get talked into anything else or something cheaper. Yes, it is an expensive thermometer. For me it made the biggest to the quality of my cooks. Thermoworks has a sale on them right now and ends in a few days. There is a post a few days back announcing the sale.

If you have to wait then ask here on the forum. For low and slow cooking invest in a Maverick ET-73 it costs about $40 on the internet. It will save some cooks and allow you to sleep during an overnight cook.

Congratulations on getting your egg and welcome to the board.

Here is some cooking ideas that are easy and taste great.

This is long so I will put the pictures in a post below.

GG
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Sounds like you're getting things under control. A couple more weeks and you'll be back here beggin' to learn the handshake!! Have fun.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Chicken & potatoes in 1 cook.

Dome 400° for about 1 hour. Cook until chicken is 165° internal.

chickspud2.jpg

Under the chicken put a tub of spuds, onion, green pepper (or hotter if you like) a couple of pats of butter. The potato tray should be done when the chicken is done. Put the cheese on the spud try when you pull it off the egg. Tent the tray for about 10 minutes.

chickspud1.jpg

chickspud3.jpg

chickspud4.jpg

chickspud5.jpg

pizza.jpg

doroast1.jpg

droast2.jpg

doroast3.jpg

doroast5.jpg

doroast6.jpg

doroast7.jpg

chili2.jpg

1stcookonsmall.jpg

blackncatntrout.jpg

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

eggcioppinoa.jpg

eggcioppinob.jpg

Fajita.jpg

pepperncheese1.jpg

pepperncheese4.jpg

ribs1.jpg

steak3.jpg

Fajita.jpg

pastramiwet1.jpg

chocolatecake.jpg

All easy cooks. Enjoy. GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    When I got my first egg it took me a while to find all the ‘stuff’ discussed here on the forum. What follows below are links to some of the sites with great information, recipes and goodies/accessories.

By all means the references below are not complete. It is a good start and in no particular order. The following focuses on BGE Products and accessories, tools made by Forum Members. With that in mind if you come upon a site that should be included let me know.

Each of the following sites have great recipes and information. Some suggestions are provided, however, each site has much more to offer – recipes, tips, how too, tools. Take the time to visit and explore the sites below.

Please copy this and email it to yourself for future reference or Bookmark this post.

- The Mother Ship (BGE Headquarters) - www.biggreenegg.com
    - New information from the Mother Ship - http://www.biggreenegg.com/whatsnew.html
    - BGE Components (what’s everything in & on the egg called) - http://www.biggreenegg.com/components.html
    - Recipes, a lot of recipes are posted right on the forum as well as boiling point calculator – Use the Cookbook drop down on the egghead forum
    - BGE HQ Recipes - http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes.html
    - Boiling Point Calculator (Forum) - http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=88
    - Paper Towel & Oil to light the lump - http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=609698&catid=1
    - The Naked Whiz site (TNW) has a huge amount of information to help the Big Green Egg user. Please take time to visit and read the articles. Many of your questions and techniques are described in detail. TNW faq’s - http://nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm make sure you visit the Front door to the TNW site - http://nakedwhiz.com

- What can I cook on an egg or not sure what I want to cook don’t miss “BBQ Porn” (this one completely ‘G’ rated). Rick has gone to great lengths at Ricks Tropical Delight - http://www.rickstropicaldelight.com/ Then click on the BBQ Porn link – you won’t want to miss this.
    - Thirdeye hosts Playing With Fire and Smoke - http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com - A lot of great experience to be found here. Pastrami, Prime Rib & Buckboard Bacon are a few of the easy and shouldn’t be left out to do cooks.
    - Trex, great steaks but watch those gaskets - http://www.houseoffaulkner.com/BGE.html (House of Faulkner) Trex-ing also available from The Naked Whiz Site
    - Wess B many recipes - http://www.wessb.com
    - Celtic Spirit BBQ, Celtic Wolf’ Pulled Pork how to - http://www.celticspiritbbq.com/howtos.html
    - Eggnerd’s BGE Page - http://philcase.com/bge
    - Mmmm Goood - North Carolina Style Pulled Pork — Elder Ward http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
    - Mad Max’s Turkey & Gravy - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm via The Naked Whiz Site
    - GFW’s BBQ – http://bbq.yyyz.net/default.asp (GFW’s BBQ)
    - Qbabe’s BBQ Adventure - http://www.phhp.ufl.edu/~tlambert/recipes-page.htm
    Dealers with instructions and recipes – Some of these sites have great recipes & How Too’s also:
    - Grill Mates (Chubby Special) for the small egg - http://www.gratemates.com/ More details via TNW site more pictures - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/gratemates/gratemates.htm

- Big’un Carnivore BBQ Sauce - http://www.carnivorebbq.com
    - Ceramic Grills Store - http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/ The Adjustable Rig & Spider are both great products.
    - Dizzy Pig Rubs (DP) real good flavor - http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipes.html
    - Fred’s Music and BBQ - - http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/230.htm
    - Lawn Ranger - http://www.lawnrangerbbq.com/
    - Playing With Fire & Smoke (Thirdeye) scroll down the page a little - http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/10/thirdhand-grate-lifting-hanging-tool.html

Appears to be partially Egg related – all recipes will work on the egg, for that matter most any recipe will work on the egg:
    - Tim M’s - http://www.tm52.com/bge/
    - Dalton Grill & Smoke - http://daltongrillandsmoke.com/CateRecipeListing.asp?logo=gold

Enjoy, Kent
  • JackBurton
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone and all the support. I have a new feeling of confidence and know I just need to hang in there a little longer.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Hey, GG.

One your potatoes and chicken all in one cook.... Do you stir the potato/veggie mixture to prevent sticking/burning on the bottom of the pan? Is there an indirect piece below it or is the pan directly over the coals?

Thanks.

Looks like a good cook to try !