Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

medium owners only please

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello - i have been checking out this forum for a few weeks now and am ready to pull the trigger and make my purchase.

i have read many threads on this forum on the best size to get - and it seems like the large is the winner

but - because of my budget - i can only get a medium at the moment! if i want the large - i have to wait a few months! which i hate to do! Im hungry now! it just seems like the people that own the mediums are pretty happy with that size!

I would be cooking for a family of 4 with 2 young kids 90% of the time! the other 10% would be with a few other couples!

Are you medium owners happy - or dissappointed you did get the large - thanks

Comments

• DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Wait the couple of months! No comparison between the Large and Medium. You'll kick yourself in the butt when you realize that and have to pony up the $ for the large plus accessories after using the Medium. It will be worth it waiting a small period of time when finances dictate.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    have you thought to go to one of the egg fests around the US and get a one day old demo large egg at a very good discount?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    OR, you might consider a small for now and a large in the future. Many who get a large first end up with a small latter. I did.
  • Long Legged Egger
    Options
    I have a medium for two of us.I love it and it works fine for us. You would want the large for your family plus when you have extra people over. The extra room of a large will be worth the wait. Get a demo if you can.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have 2 mediums. Like you, price was a consideration, and the dealer made a nice offer on a medium. At the time, I had 5 at home, and never lacked for space. Did a birthday for 10 teens (was a little hard), several family holiday dinners, Christmas goose and the like. I eventually got another medium for the versatility of cooking at different temperatures, and for the greater ease feeding crowds. Honestly, for 4, or several couples, a medium will do.

My only real problems is that I have to cut whole racks of spare ribs down somewhat, and fitting in a large brisket is difficult.

I will admit that when/if one of my daughter's and her new hubby get a place of their own, one of the mediums will get a new home, and I'll get a large.
  • BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Options
    I will say that I have a large, medium, and mini; I purchased the large first, then the medium, and finally the mini. I, too, cook a lot for 4 (the wife, two kids under seven, and myself). If I had to choose I would say go for the large...there WILL be times you wish you had more space, (for me, it is when I want to cook multiple pork butts for friends and family)!

The medium will work fine for your situation though. I use all three of my eggs regularly but if I had to choose one, it would be the large. Hope this helps and good luck on your decision.

Also, if you can't get to an eggfest for a demo egg make sure to negotiate a lower price from your dealer. I was able to get my large with the stand, egg trays, ash tool, grate tool, plate setter, fire starters and a bag of lump for $900.00 out the door. It was assembled too. I feel like I got a great deal.

Ed
  • BBQonJ
    BBQonJ Posts: 60
    Options
    I have a medium and it is great for two. It does ok for four but is a problem for more. This is particularly true if you want fresh hot grid area for good grill marks when flipping. Don't know the age of the kids but they will grow. If my two boys were still teens at home I would be in trouble.

Dave
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I have a large and a medium, and am usually cooking for a family of four...although my kids are still young, 4 & 5, my medium sees the bulk of the use. I typically use the large for lo & slo's, when I'm going to smoke a large quantity of meat and freeze some for a later date.

But, as others have pointed out, having 2, regardless of which 2, is nice to have....2 temps, indirect vs. grilling, etc.

I love both eggs, but definitely use the medium more than the large.

fc
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Many of us proclaimed we would only need/get one egg. I now have 4.

Once one gets an egg, no matter the size you will want a second egg (and probably more).

The medium will be fine for your current cooking needs. You most likely will want & get a large in the future.

If you get a large you will probably justify and smaller one in the future.

If you decide on the medium, the fire ring, and possibly 2 different fire box designs also.

Get the medium new larger fire ring. The old fire ring if slid to one side of the egg will have a close to a 2" gap between the outside surface of the fire ring to the inside surface of the egg wall.

GG
  • R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    For about 90% of my cooks I'm happy with the medium. Everynow and then I wish for a large, but I quickly change my mind after looking at the price.. I would wait and buy a large, but if not, you will be happy with the large for the family

ross
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    I am very happy with my two mediums. I would say go ahead and get it and get to cooking! Later when you decide you want a second egg then you can go with the large. I think you will be fine on cooking enough food to accommodate your family. You might need to plan your cooks a little more and buy or build a second grate setup for a little more grate space. Good luck with your tough decision.

spatchcock chicken on raised grid on medium 400f for 1:15 mins then flipped skin down for 5
    031709004.jpg

031709019.jpg
    031709010.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    We have all but the XL and the med gets the most work. unless I am cooking for more than 4 ADULTS i can do everything from main course to dessert on the med. You learn to work with what you have :) I love my med and my folks have a med too and we are getting them another here at the ocala fest this weekend.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I only have a medium and it does us fine (2 Adults plus 2 kids (5 / 1½) - I hanker after more grid space sometimes for burgers or when grilling veg and have to squeeze those courgette or aubergine slices in but most of the time I'm happy.
    I also have a kamado #7 and never use it, folks on that forum advised to get the biggest I could afford but I wish I'd got a smaller one
    A lot of people on here seem very happy with a large and small combo but I think the large is used as a lazy medium.
    Becsue the large is the most popular it's also got the range of accessories but who needs more than an indriect setup and a raised grid setup? (I'm sure some will chime in here)
    I love my Med. perhaps I'd have liked a large butI have a Med and I love it. (would like a small to complement it ......)
    Good luck, find a local egghead because it's an investment worth considering.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    I've always been curious how the Medium became the Redheaded Stepchild of the line on this forum. I started with a Medium and used it for almost three years before adding a Large when I decided that I wanted a second for cooking different things/temps at once. The Medium is a great cooker and very versitile. Most here advise a Large/Small combination, but I really like my Medium/Large combination. I'm not recommending one size over another, they are all great cookers. However, I agree with James MB that many Larges are used at far less than capacity. If it is only a couple month wait to afford the Large and you have size envy tendancies, wait it out. If not, get the Medium and enjoy until you inevitibly add another. And you will. :) Good Luck!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Having read all the post so far, I love my larege and like GG I have 4 (Lg. Med. Sm. Mini) The medium will be fine but if you can wait for the med.

But remember, Any Egg is better then no Egg.

Good Luck to ya,
    Bordello
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I agree with most of the forum, I have several friends that have Mediums that would rather have a large. I am a reverse I got an XL and then went to the Large. I could not get by with just a medium even though there are some configurations to get more space( I got Eaters). I am with the majority wait and get the large. It may only be my observation but it seems that the large is the more popular size. Wait a few months, get a demo or get out on Craig's list , newspaper classifieds local paper that sells everything sometimes you can find a good deal. I bought a large in a month or so ago for $200.00 off of Craig's list. It was in good shape too just a little TLC. Your kids will grow as their appetites will and they will bring friends.
  • Regis
    Regis Posts: 23
    Options
    If your heart is really set on the large I agree with the others who suggest to wait the extra few months to get the large. If not, you'll always probably be second guessing your decision.

With that said, though, I have small, medium, and large and find myself using the medium more than half the time, followed by the small, then the large. That's for me and my wife plus two boys, 11 & 13 and a son in college who eats at home a lot. I purchased the large first, then the medium, and finally the small.

If I had to choose just one, and only one, it would be the large. Mainly because of the versatility.

Good luck with your choice...you'll love which ever one you get!!
  • MilitantSquatter
    Options
    If you only plan to buy one with zero chance for another then wait a few months for the large so you don't second guess the extra space. If there's potential for a second, then go for the medium now and add to the family as you can.

I have two mediums and I'm also picking up an XL demo at the Waldorf Eggfest.

A medium will cover your capacity for a small family for quick grills, a pizza etc and can support small qty of ribs, a butt, small brisket etc.

If your cooking for a larger group, you can still get it all done on a medium with good planning.. Ex. Low and slow BBQ first, as that comes off you can go into some quick grilling, appetizers etc.

Good Luck !!
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    I LOVE my Medium! But I cook for me 95% of the time. And, though I usually have a freezer full of leftovers for sack lunches for work, with your family I think it would be worth the wait of a few months of saving to get the Large. Go to a Fest and get a deal if you can. Patience is a virtue, and you will love it when you get it!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Do a search on the forum of "some'en". I should bring up several pages at least of cooks I have done on my medium. I love my medium and a fight would be on if some one tryed to take him. That said I cook for me an my wife and another couple some times. I really need a small to cook at a differant temp such as sides along with the Medium. Large would not make a diffeance. However if I EVER intended for more than four people a large/small combo would be my choice. The medium is a perfect size for me and the wife 80% of the time and does four four just fine. Sides I like being the "black sheep"!! ;)