Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood for table in Maryland

Options
frankie482
frankie482 Posts: 263
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am at a loss. I cant find cypress anywhere and the cheapest price I can find for lumber alone - Red Oak - is around $220 - $240. I am looking to use 8/4 board for legs and 4/4 board for shelves and frames. I am using plans from Naked Whiz website. Am I missing something or is wood more expensive here in the Mid Atlantic states?

Comments

• fregg
    fregg Posts: 58
    Options
    If you are going to use oak, then do not use red oak it is not rot resistant. You should use white oak which is rot resistant.Sorry cannot help on the cost in your area.
    Cheers
    Fregg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the 8/4 designation, but you should use 2x4's and 1x4's (not 4/4 which is a premium cost) the 2x's are 1.5" and the 1x's are 3/4".

I built my table out of Mahogany (an excellent outdoor wood) and the wood cost was about $130.
  • fregg
    fregg Posts: 58
    Options
    8/4 is the term used in rough lumber which is 8 x1/4'", therefore 2" thick boards. 4/4 lumber is 1".
    Cheers
    Fregg
  • frankie482
    Options
    Flashback Bob wrote:
    I'm not familiar with the 8/4 designation, but you should use 2x4's and 1x4's (not 4/4 which is a premium cost) the 2x's are 1.5" and the 1x's are 3/4".

I built my table out of Mahogany (an excellent outdoor wood) and the wood cost was about $130.

I can not find any wood worth using in 2 x 4. I decided to go to a local mill. 4/4 is 1 inch unmilled and 8/4 is 2 inches unmilled.
  • frankie482
    Options
    fregg wrote:
    If you are going to use oak, then do not use red oak it is not rot resistant. You should use white oak which is rot resistant.Sorry cannot help on the cost in your area.
    Cheers
    Fregg

Local mill said white oak was not worth getting right now because cost is so high. http://thomassawmill.com/dry_lumber_price_list.htm
  • frankie482
    Options
    Flashback Bob wrote:

Were you buying mahogany by the linear foot or by the board foot?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I buy it from lumberyards and they charge by the board foot.

I understand what 4/4, 8/4 means, I just hadn't heard it used except for when special mill orders were required.

You'd be buying it unmilled? interesting. I don't think I had that option.

My mahogany pieces were basically deck building materials.
  • frankie482
    Options
    Flashback Bob wrote:
    I buy it from lumberyards and they charge by the board foot.

I understand what 4/4, 8/4 means, I just hadn't heard it used except for when special mill orders were required.

You'd be buying it unmilled? interesting. I don't think I had that option.

My mahogany pieces were basically deck building materials.

So you were buying 1x4 and 2x4 mahogany in pre cut lengths. i.e. 1x4x6 or 2x4x8 Everything I have been looking at seems to be pretty expensive. I thought I would be in the 150 - 200 range at most but that seems to be the low end.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think I had them cut in 4'-0" lengths- I know I had the 1x4's cut to 4' Table size and fit in trunk and I finish cut them at home.

Your estimation/expectation sounds right. See if you can check a couple places and other exterior woods (like cedar-though that mght be expensive)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I don't know what part of the country you are in but I found a saw mill close by here that deal exclusively in Cypress and Cedar. I just finished a 60 inch table for my XL with two lower shelves with grade 1 Cypress. The prices were great it cost about $125 for all the wood. Ask around to find any saw mills in your area. It was the only place I could find that had Cypress. Good luck
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Its been 20 years since I bought there, but there used to be a specialty wood supplier in the Annapolis (or at least Anne Arundel County) area - I'd recognize the name but don't recall it off-hand. There is also Smoot Lumber in Northern Virginia - they seem to have more than the average lumberyard. Cypress lumber, I think, is not normally found in the northern (or even slightly southern) states. You might do a Google search for mills elsewhere and see if they can ship for a reasonable cost.
  • Yes, prices do seem higher here. Exotic Lumber in Annapolis has a good selection but is very high priced. The last time I tried to get some lumber they were only open something like every other Saturday on odd months or something ridiculous like that.

I bought some lumber a couple of years at Colonial Hardwoods (it's near Woodcraft in Springfield, Va). Only bought hardwood and don't know what else they have.

Haven't been to this place yet but have heard some good stuff about them. He has cypress in 4/4 but not 8/4 and cedar in 4/4 to 12/4.

If you don't have a jointer and planer you'll have to pay for millwork also.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Good find! Gosh, if one timed it right, one could go to Waldorf for the Eggfest and hit Maryland Select Hardwoods in La Plata while the food is still cooking . . . . :)
  • frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    Options
    Finally decided on cedar. Found a place that stocked 2 x 4 and 1 x 8. Frame is put together and all the pieces for the shelves are ripped. Will post pics soon.