Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt cook time question...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking five lb. butt @ 250 degrees. Internal temperature is hovering at 185 degrees. Thoughts on how much longer I have to go before I reach 200? I am trying to avoid opening the egg every thirty minutes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• You are likely in the plateau. It can stay there for hours. Just be patient. I hope you are not having to open to check internal temp.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Sounds like you don't have a remote thermometer. If so you need something like this so you don't have to open the lid to get the temp.

http://www.partshelf.com/maet73.html

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    It could be a while if the Butt is in plateau. Like some of the others have said you really need to have a external thermometer so you can keep up with the temp without opening the dome.

Just curious, but why do you want it to climb all the way to 200 degrees? I always pull mine at 190 and they are perfect. Especially if you are going to wrap in foil for a while the internal temp will climb a few more degrees.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Do not open the dome during the cook.I never cook a five pound butt before but one that is around seven could take up to eighteen hours to finish.If you do not have a remote thermometer now is the time to run out and buy one.Every time that lid is open your heat is going right out of the egg.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I would guess you are out of the plateau and within 1 hour of pulling.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Opening wont speed it up, it'll slow it down..you don't say how long it's been on already or how long it's been hovering at 185...1 1/2-2hrs per lb is a good overall guide..but each butt has its own personality so that can vary...
  • Thanks for the responses. I definitely need a remote thermometer. Does anybody have any good (moderately priced) recommendations. As far as the 200 degree mark...I have seen that temp. referenced on here before, but 190 works for me.