Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally found tri-tip! Suggestions?

WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It looks like us Texans will finally get to try tri-tip. I noticed Ravenous said HEB had it so I checked it out, found it and bought 2. I didn't have time to get recipes for the one I cooked yesterday so I winged it. No marinade, not enough time. Rubbed with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Used some hickory for smoke and cooked indirect at 350 until about 140 degrees internal. It turned out really good. [p]I'm sure you tri-tip veterans have a favorite way to make this. I'm interested in your suggestions for that other one I bought.[p]Bob

Comments

• Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    WudEyeDoo,
    There are a myriad of different ways to prepare a tri-tip, but my favorite is to dust in my favorite rub, wrap in bacon, then dust in rub again. I then add some wood chunks (oak, hickory or mesquite, sometimes cherry) and the results are incredible. I prefer to eat it in sandwich form with sweet sandwhich rolls and bbq sauce.
    -Joel

• WudEyeDoo
    Joel Ferman,
    Do you cook this indirect or direct?

• WudEyeDoo,
    Try Eggtoberfest 1999 tri-Tip in the recipe section. [p]Grillin Bill

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 35
    WudEyeDoo,[p]I have cooked at least 100 tri tips because they are inexpensive, and feed a dinner party very easily. I do whatever kind of rub (the Montreal is very easy and goes well with the meat.) Or you can try marinading in apricot halves (crush them in your hands and juice drained) Italian dressing, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. [p]I sear directly until pretty darn seared, then finish direct at about 350 until you like it. When done, I think it's ok to have pretty blackened, even crusty. You have to let this roast rest and then cut across the grain. You have to cut in what seems an odd direction to do this, just pay attention to the meat grain. Cut on something that you can collect the blood if you want. If you do the marinade, you can add blood and some left over marinade and cook it down for a sweet kind of sauce.[p]Let me know if there is anything else I can help with![p]Justin
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    WudEyeDoo[p]What is the Tri-Tip called in the grocery store?[p] Dave

• WudEyeDoo
    Dave,
    It was just called tri-tip. Apparently, this cut of meat is practically unheard of in many parts of the country. I have asked several butchers about it locally and they never knew what it was.[p]It's a popular cut on the West Coast. Now that one of our regional grocery stores has it in Texas, hopefully it will become commonplace around here.[p]Bob