Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mapp Torch question

jb1020
jb1020 Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
how many times can you light the egg using the mapp torch before having to refill it. and in refilling, how much does that cost and where is it done?

sorry if this has been asked, i searched for a bit and figured what the heck ill ask.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i proabably get 70- 100 lightings and the bottle cost about $8

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Gosh! $4 per month! That could get expensive! :whistle:
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Don't know if you can get MAPP in refillable cylinders smaller than welding size. I've only seen it in the small handheld canisters. You can usually get a single spot of lump started in about 20 seconds, so you can start a whole lot of batches. I usually do 3 spots, for a total burn of 60 - 75 seconds. I go thru 2 tanks a year, which is definitely cheaper than starter cubes.

I haven't bough any lately, as I stocked up a year ago, but I understand true MAPP has been replaced by a slightly different mixture call MAPP Pro.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Been lighting mine (3 places, 4 to 6 times per week) for almost a year now on the same cylinder. It's starting to get a little light now, so probably will have to replace soon.

Mike
  • jb1020
    wow, id say thats cost efficiency at its best. guess ill be stopping at homedepot on the way home. any suggestions or are there different types of these torches? im clueless if you cant tell.
  • BENTE
    i have ths ts8000

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I have the hand help propane torch. The canisters last 6-9 months based on lighting in 3 spots and using probably 4-5 x a week....very cheap & easy...
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    advice- make sure it has an ignitor on the handle.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,670
    the weedburner is more practical, especially if you have a gas bottle from a gas grill. it will last indefinately lighting an egg, atleast a couple years. now with the bottle you can get a big burner for steaming pots, boils, lobster, etc. ive had a few mapps light on fire on me, i wont buy one again, its pretty scary holding a mapp bottle thats in flames. weedburners are about 20 dollars at harbor frieght, ive had mine since about 2003
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jb1020
    i saw a picture of the weed burner on another thread....i used to glaze hams in high school with one of those. haha. my back deck isnt the biggest so i'd rather not have a propane tank out all the time. if i can get 70 lights out of an $8 bottle ill be more than pleased.

so the ts8000?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The kind I use is a weed burner made by Bernzomatic that uses the small tanks. I'm not sure if is still in production, but I've seen it on line in the past few months. It looks sort of like a cane, and has an igniter built in. So the tank and the flame are about 3' away from each other.
  • fishlessman
    i would like that better than the typical one with the short extension, the one with the short extension either gets too hot in the torch head and melts the oring, or the oring dries out and cracks over time. when this happens the torch head will light itself on fire, happened twice to me, a literal handgrenade.
    fukahwee maine

• jb1020
    a search on lowes.com turns up no results for "mapp torch"
  • BENTE
    it is a multiple application torch

the orange box store does not have it online either but they do have them in the stores they are near the hand tool section just look for the welders..

here is the one i have
    http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORCHES/PROFESSIONALTORCHES/tabid/230/ctl/Detail/mid/1009/xmid/6986/xmfid/3/Default.aspx

i got it at hd it came with a tank i usually have a back up can for emergencies ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I purchased mine at Home Depot and absolutely love it.

I was always frustrated using the cubes / starters with occasional no-lights. In a fit of frustration, I even considered selling my egg. :blink:

Do a search on benzomatic. Make sure you get the ones with the yellow bottles (MAPP).
  • fishlessman
    should be in the store like Bente said. i believe mapp is getting harder to come by and is getting replaced by MAP-PRO and other similar gases. mapp is in the yellow cylinders, blue for propane
    fukahwee maine

• jb1020
    i still cant find them searching benzomatic. of well lowes and homedepot are both on the way home. thanks for the help eggers
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    At least thirdeye and I prefer the safety provided by the 3 foot hose in this model. That way the tank is well away from the flame.
    IMG_1181.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I am a 31 year plumber and we use mapp all the time for our smaller soldering, they are the best, most heavy-duty, hottest etc. The best is a brand named Turbotorch. I would personally not get self-igniteing.
    The igniters don't last that long. Think gas grill igniter, you know how long they (don't)last. Tool stores, plumbing supply carry them, or possibly E-bay.
    Turbotorch also makes a very hot propane torch (they have small to large tips availble) with a 6' hose that uses a 20 lb tank like in gas grills.
  • jb1020
    i went with the ts8000 at lowes. it was $46 which was a little more than i thought it would be but man was it nice. had the lump up and going in no time. i kinda feel like a sucker for going thru 2 boxes of the egg fire starters.
  • Hi, JB.

My answers: "a lot of uses, and not much $$$ per use."

I just purchased a torch for lighting lump and have used it a few times, so I will pass along the limited knowledge I can. You might want to read this thread as I was asking similar questions and there are pictures and model numbers.

There are several different safety issues:
    (1) keeping canister away from heat
    (2) keeping hands away from heat
    (3) keeping sparks away from eyes

Think about this stuff before you choose a torch to buy. The form factor I am using (looks like a walking cane, flame comes out of end, igniter pushbutton on side) does well with #1 and #2 and cost $38 at Home Depot. You can see a variety of form factors on the [url] http://www.bernzomatic.com/[/url] website.

With these torches the sparking is so fierce that you'd be prudent to wear eye protection. Be aware that wherever sparks land you have a potential char/singe/fire.

I don't see much advantage to searching out MAPP over propane. MAPP is slightly hotter but propane is easier to find, and both gas technologies burn much hotter than the ignition point of lump charcoal. It's a Ford/Chevy question. The plumbers care because solder melts at a precise temperature and they don't usually want a large flame that risks starting a fire, whereas that's exactly what we want. Different application.