Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Most cost effective way to buy Lump???

Options
JTC
JTC Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Curious what the seasoned vets here recommend regarding a cost effective way to buy Lump. I have been buying 20lb bags of Royal Oak locally for around $20+tax.

Everytime I consider buying "designer" charcoal - the cost of shipping is nearly as much as the wood.

Curious if anyone is finding deals at Costco, Sams, Loews, etc...

Have a neighbor with an Egg and we are considering a mini group buy to see if it help drive down the cost per pound.

Thanks

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    If you guys have access to hardwoods, and are not restricted by local ordinances againts building fires you can make your own lump. I have never done it but have read about it, and it does not seem that complicated. If I remember correctly you can do it by putting wood in a 30 gallon? barrel with a lid on it with just a tiny crack, and put that barrel in a 55 gallon barrel. A hole is cut in the 55 gallon barrel so wood can be placed inside and burned, and the wood in the small barrel becomes lump charcoal. Maybe others who know more than me will chime in.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Where are you located?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    we are pretty lucky here in newengland, wicked good has distributors in new hamshire and conneticut and we can buy by the pallet for descent dollars.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JTC
    Options
    Located in Minnesota
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    generally, the bigger the bag, the cheaper it is....consider alternative sources like Sysco Food distributors, Restaurant Depot and such. Basically, need to go where the commerical users would go and hope to get lucky. Bigger the city, better the odds. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    try pinging minnesota eggers with this question. there are several eggers getting good deals at walmart...in NE and I would suspect minn the wally world doesn't carry good stuff or at all in the winter time.

As fishlessman says we have wicked good, and even at a local coal and ice place the markup on it is reasonable.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Any of your friends have a pick-up and a little free time? You can buy Ozark Oak at the plant in Yellville AR by the pallet for the same price the grocery stores and super centers pay. The price is the same from one pallet to a rail car full. Bring a standard grocery pallet with you and save another 5 bucks. I had the pallet quantity on a note, but can't find it. I think it was 60 ten pound bags.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Become friends with the hardware manager or seasonal guy at your local haunts and check to see if they have any open bags (tear in the bag thingy) in the store room.You can save up to 20/30% or perhaps more on your purchase.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Last Saturday the Rest Depot in Atlanta (Norcross location) had USA Royal Oak for $10.79 for a 17# bag. The price has gone up and I believe the total weight has gone down....yikes..
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Get a hold of Northwest Charcoal & Chemical Co., 2900 17th Ave. S., Minneapolis, 612-879-8044. They have Nature Glo/ Royal Oak lump in commercial quantities.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • JTC
    Options
    Thanks fellow MN egger - I contacted them and seems they have moved to Isanti?
  • Davekatz
    Options
    That's right, they have. I forgot. But they will deliver to the cities for a pretty reasonable fee.
  • JTC
    Options
    Do I need to make believe I am a commercial business or do they sell direct to consumer? Thanks again...
  • Davekatz
    Options
    They don't seem to care one way or the other. My wife used to pick it up at the shop and get the guys to load it for her.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    Kim,at the store on Ellsworth it was $10.48 Enjoyed visiting saturday. Hope your crowd enjoyed it as much as we did.

Poppasam