Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In-Laws Visiting--Cook Suggestions?

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wifes parents are visiting beginning tomorrow for about 2 weeks. Plan on doing roast tenederloin tomorrow nite. Will wait until the weekend (Sunday) to do ribs. Any suggestions for quick cooks during the week other than Spatchcocked which is already planned (quick easy staple of my household). They have had my cooking before but not off the egg, only my old weber before I really discovered what grilling and 'cuing was all about.

Comments

• Blue Ridge Smoke
    Options
    The menu recommendation depends entirely on if you want them to stay longer or leave sooner! :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    hey if you like spatchcocked chicken try doing the same thing with turkey then you got alot of meat to make turkey.... dumplings, stew, sandwitches, and a hundred other things.. plus since you have 2 larges you can make the sides on the other.. which will take you completly outside to "concentrate" on dinner... while you are out there looking like you are working.. but we all know you are just getting away from inside ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I'd say it depends on how long you want them to stay. Ribs say I love you, Prime rib says I love you very much...I've missed you, skunk says I really wish you would go home. :laugh: :woohoo: Good luck with that one.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Just cooked this today for my visiting inlaws... :woohoo:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=593117&catid=1

Good luck.... :unsure:
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Do you want them there for 2 weeks?
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Those were pretty funny. 2 weeks is not my idea, although they haven't visited in two years since I retired from the Army and we moved in.

Prime Rib is deifnitely out of the question. Beli that sounds delicious but don't know if they are much on broiled fish. They are from the deep south so it would probably have to bedeep fried or blackened.

Bente that is pretty much the plan, turn on the tunes and act like I am working. Saw pics of your daughter in another post and she is a cutie. Have to work on you and your Steeler affiliation, at least that have a couple of Seminoles on the roster.

I am on the other end of the spectrum. Mom in Law and I get along and she likes me and she doesn't meddle at all!!
    So I guess I should count my blessings.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Would you consider adding fish/seafood to the mix?

We really like a rum-brined steelhead or salmon filet based on one from Raichlen's How to Grill book. Basically you drizzle dark rum on the filet, then make a coating of 4 parts brown sugar to 1 part kosher salt (probably 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons salt for a large filet). Refrigerate for a few hours. Rinse, pat dry, back in the fridge for 1-3 hours to form the pellicle (dry surface), then indirect at 225-250 with some alder for smoke; about 45 minutes to an hour for steelhead, probably a little longer for salmon (since it tends to be thicker). Watch for the white fat to release from the fish and/or the flaking to tell you it's done.

Then hope some makes it to the plates because once you start nibbling, you just can't stop yourself!
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Michelle, that sounds good. Althought will have to ask the wife if they eat salmon. But I have saved it because the wife loves salmon, so I will definitely try it one night for her when I need to get out of the doghouse or begging for an extra day of golf. :)
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    AG, made this last night and it was a huge hit...pretty quick and easy too..served with sides of mashed taters and fresh broccolli with velveeta cheese sauce...

Steak and Ale
    Yield
    4 servings
    Ingredients

* 4 sirloins steaks sliced to 1/2-inch
    * Butter
    * 1 medium yellow onion diced
    * 4 ounces sliced button mushrooms
    * 1 pint English pale ale (recommended: Bass)
    * 1 teaspoon dried thyme
    * 1 teaspoon dried parsley
    * 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    * 1 stick butter
    * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Directions

Preheat BGE to 400 direct for browning the steaks then indirect for the stewing...

Season steaks on both sides with salt, pepper and butter. Put onto a hot grill and brown on both sides (about 2mins ea side) then set aside.

In a Dutch oven or cast iron fry pan, add 1/2 stick of butter, onions, mushrooms and salt. Place lid on top and allow them to sweat.

Add beer and place steaks in pan. Allow to stew until tender (45mins-1hr).

Combine the thyme, parsley, nutmeg, remaining butter and flour together. Use this to thicken the sauce so as to be able to coat the back of a spoon (makes a great gravy for over the steaks and/or the mashed potatoes).
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    If I were you I would take my egg and run, then tell your wife to call when everything returns to normal.
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    For quick cooks I would suggest:
    Steak
    011309011.jpg
    stuffed chicken breast
    021209007.jpg
    Flat iron steak
    011909006.jpg
    pork tenderloin
    060508007.jpg
    chicken wings
    120608005.jpg
    pork steaks
    012009b008.jpg
    fajitas
    120808a011.jpg
    ABT's go great anytime
    070108003.jpg
    Kabobs
    020809008.jpg
    Hope I helped on a idea or two...
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    AlwaysGolf wrote:
    Michelle, that sounds good. Althought will have to ask the wife if they eat salmon. But I have saved it because the wife loves salmon, so I will definitely try it one night for her when I need to get out of the doghouse or begging for an extra day of golf. :)

If they don't eat it, I have a solution:

Visit us in Denton.

Golf with us at our community course (Wildhorse/Mustang at Robson Ranch). Just don't laugh, we are still pretty new to the game amateurs who don't even have a handicap yet.

Shop at TJV's house/shop/garage (he's about 15 minutes from us). Oh, his daughter will run circles around us on the golf course.

Come back to our house and have steelhead or salmon.

Don't mind the 3 crazy cocker spaniels....
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    When my inlaws visit I try to cook really disgusting food so that they will leave. :evil:
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    JPF--good looking cooks, maybe I sure just hire you for the next couple of weeks.

Michelle, sounds good. But I hope those homes have insurance because I have been known to hit a couple at the local muni. I do need to order some more stuff from Tom, dying for a wok and a grid extender and a couple of those sliders.

By the way Wife's name is Michele (one L) and two of my old neighbors wives were Michele.So your name would be easy to remember.
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    If you have the set up pizza is one we do at our house during the week, once you reach temp. the pies cook fast. Buying premade balls of dough and sauce in a jar can make it really easy. 10 to 15 min per pie depending on temp. and pie thickness.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    AG - knowing you have two larges and you say your in-laws are from the south, I would suggest one day doing a big pot of red beans with smoked sausage on one and put some of Celtic Wolfs cornbread on the other. Add some rice and a small salad and you are golden. Some one dish economical type meals go a long way and sometimes they seem even better than some of the fancy stuff - I guess because they are closer to comfort food.

IMG_1658800x600.jpg

IMG_2893800x600.jpg

A stir fry with chicken and a variety of veggies always goes over big here. I like using boneless thighs, brocoli, cauliflowere, onions, bell pepper, snap beans, carrots, bean spouts, bamboo shoots, cashews. Marinate the chicken for a few hours in a teriake type sauce. Shrimp works too.

Good luck with it.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    stuffed pork loin?
    anything wrapped in bacon?? zippy's shrimp lejon?
    pot roast
    egged chicken breasts sliced and served over spinach and linguini in a bacon cream sauce
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    How do I get Celtic Wolf's cornbread recipe. Been on the forum for almost a year and him, stike and a few other of the long termers I am afraid of.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    AG - Here it is on his Q site. I have made it several times.

http://www.celticspiritbbq.com/recipes/cornbread.html