Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

knife question

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some knives! What do most of you use? I probably need to take a lesson. I would think online would be much cheaper than a fancy kitchen store or is is kinda like buying an egg? I probably do more vegs than anything & this is what I use. Be nice!

DSCN3076.jpg

Comments

• Eggscaper
    Options
    You can never go wrong with good German knife J A Henckels or Wustof put always go with the pro sieres

Doug
    Dallas,Ga
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Many choices, A good 7 inch chef knife for veggies. This site is good,

http://www.cadcutlery.com/cooks.htm They are frequently used by chefs in restauirants and many meat markets use them. Do you have a friendly butcher. Garage sales sometimes have deals.

Ken Onion if you wish to blow the budget. They have a nice handle taqng grip.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun_onion.htm

Do you have a Williams and Sonoma near you? They have very pricy knives but will let you try the feel..How it feels in your hand is the most important part of the deal IMHO.

I have 5 Henkle 4 stars that I bought 15 or so years ago and they are great.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    You're right, you need new knives. :P

You'll get a wide range of responses. If you can find them, Forschner is one of the best values on the market. Excellent quality without the boutique price. My wife particularly likes her Global knives. They're comfortable to use and the handle design makes it nearly impossible for crud to catch anywhere. Though others will disagree, I think Wusthoff and Henkels are over-rated. They're fine knives, but they're not the only quality out there. You can get better or equal for less money. On the other end, you can spend as much as you want to. :woohoo: There are some handmade knives that are stunning, work beautifully and require a second mortgage or your first born.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You mean to tell me you do your prep work with a steak knife? :blink: -RP
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Well...you'll get lots'a answers...anf there are a lot of good knives out there.

Like any tool...to some degree...you'll get what you pay for...so a realistic idea of your budget and needs is not a bad place to start.

Additionally...I'd rather have 3 or 4 good knives, (and maybe add as I go)...than get a block full of mediocre ones!!

Three of four good knives will do just about anything you would ever need..the rest are just to have for a special purpose, but in no way necessary.

The most important thing is to go and hold them...in your hand!!!

It doesn't matter how friggin good they are...if they don't fit your hand well, they're not safe... and won't be as easy to learn to use!!!

They should feel comfortable in your hand!!

BBB, Macys or a specialty kitchen shop (Williams & Sonoma) are a pretty good place to go and try.

Depending,you may get a better price on line..or not. Once you have an idea of what feels good in your hand... you can price shop!

Henkles...Wustof or Global...are all well made and have differing levels of quality within their lines.

I have knives from Shun, Henkles and Sabatier and they are all well worth the money.

That said...from the pic you posted... I'm thinking anything is probably going to be a major upgrade!!

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Let me know if I can help any further.

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    http://www.chadwrites.com/

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036

first link is to a chad wards website on the right clic buy the book.. lots of info , good book and i met him once nice guy ..all you need to know and more about buying and caring for your knives.

second link is to the e gullet article that spawned the book it is about shapening..

forschner knives are a good value and made [i believe by victornox now?] whustof makes a wonderful knife.. but if you really want sharp japanese steel is the way to go,, it can be expensive and the require careful handling///

regardless do not get sucked into the huge mega set..
    3 knives to start an 8 or 10 inch chefs, a small paring knife and a serrated bread slicer.. they do not have to all be the same brand . back to paying the bills
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Most people can satisfy 90 % of their knife needs with a decent 8" chef's knife, and a good paring knife. Unless you want a super sharp knife, a good stainless steel blade will be easier to maintain. The usual trade off, cost-wise, is that a less expensive blade will not take and/or hold an edge as well as a fancier one will. However, the expensive ones can be quite delicate, and require thorough cleaning.

You might get a better deal on-line, but it is a good idea to actually hold a knife in your hand. Try some out at a store.

Not too long ago I bought a cheap vegetable chopper at a local Asian market. Cost $6. Its smaller than a cleaver, stays pretty sharp, and has become my wife's favorite blade.

If you don't have one, also get a honing steel. Even expensive blades should be honed with each use, and cheaper blades certainly benefit from as much care as you can give them.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Chubby is EXTREMELY CORRECT.

GET OUT AND PUT HAND TO KNIFE...

balance and feel is more important than brand for the most part.

Once you get into the higher end knives such as Wustof, Shun, Henkle, Kyrocera etc... they all will perform very well and the right "fit" is what you need.

Learn how to use a knife in the kitchen is important as well. You can have the most expensive knife on planet earth and do nothing more than cut off your digits if you are not careful. Good Luck!

http://lifehacker.com/software/how-to/chop-vegetables-like-a-pro-329229.php

http://busycooks.about.com/od/howtocook/a/kitchenknife.htm
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    When you mention "lesson," do you mean in selecting a knife or using one? If the latter, many places that offer cooking lessons also have sessions on knife skills - it can be a good investment.

I have 35 year old carbon steel French and German knives and cheap carbon Chinese cleavers that could hammer a nail. I have new and expensive Shun and Global blades, and even a ceramic. I find I use just a couple of them regularly and the rest only on occasion. As long as you like the feel and keep them sharp, it doesn't matter much who makes them.
  • porkbutt
    Options
    Susan:

I use Wustoff Knives exclusively. They are a bit pricey however I had some of mine for 30 years. The knife in your picture is a serrated knife and is used to cut hard outer shell type foods i.e bread muffins etc. I recommend a 7" Santoku, a 12" meat slicing knife, 3" parer, and a 6" serrated all purpose to start. I have over 15 Wustoff knives and love them all. Do not run your knives through the dishwasher and keep them in a knife block. You may also want to get a "sharpening steel" which is nothing more than a dresser. I think it would almost be impossible to dress a briskett, pork butt, ribs, or spatchcock a chicken without good knives.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Oh Susan, God love ya gal, but just made me cry. I hope the picture is for humor.

There is a lot of great information above so there is no need for me to add to it. However, I like the Santoku also.

I think it was 2 years ago I pikced up some 5,7 & 11 inch Santoku's from JC Penny's. I believe they were the Cooks Pro, if memory serves. They were a heck of a deal I think from $11 to $21 (huge discount sale).

I will look and if I have one I will just send it to you. Email me your name and addy. I will go look this afternoon. I thought I saved a couple for me 'for future needs'. This is really a need.

GG
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    Options
    Here is the most bang for your buck. Chef's Knife - Forschner (Victorinox) Fibrox 8-inch, #40520. It'll cost you about $25.00. Santoku Knife - Mac Superior, It cost about $55.00. Boning Knife - Forschner (Victorinox) Fibrox #47513. Cost $17.00. These are really good knives and I feel you can't go wrong with these. You can pay $130.00 bucks or so for an Henkels, or a Wusthof chef's knife and I'm sure they're worth the money. Just depends on how deep you want to dig into the pocket.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Susan, a good knife is like a good man B) gotta try a few out :blush: but when you find the right knife, you will know :blush:
    anyway, we have a wide variety of really good knives for many purposes, but if youv'e never tried a good, sharp one, you may want to find some friends to take lessons, seriously.
    HOW to use the knife, HOW to care for the knife, and HOW to sharpen the knife are VERY IMPORTANT DETAILS to consider ;);)
    Like Gdnby said, a decent 8" chef's knife, and a good paring are perfect starters :lol:
    Good luck on your quest :silly:
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Well, you've gotten all the answers. Now just try to put them together and make some sense out of them. My wife bought me a set of Cutco knives a few years back and for a knife I had never heard of, they have been great. Since then I have found out that Cutco knives are indeed very good knives. What I have also found out is that there is no such thing as a bargain knife. I have a couple of Henckels and the expensive Henckel is indeed a good knife and the cheap Henckels are indeed cheap knives. COnsider also what knives you will use. An 8" or 10" chef's knife is very nice but since acquiring a good 8" Santoku, I use it almost exclusively. I find that a good boning knife is essential when I want to bone a chicken or even a piece of beef. A good sharp paring knife is also quite useful. Nothing can beat a good serrated edge knife for slicing tomatoes. Finally, I had never had a decent one so I never knew how useful a cleaver can be. If you want to whack apart 50 lbs of chicken wings, a good sharp cleaver makes it quick and simple. My vote? Go to the store talk to someone knowledgeable about knives (two simple questions to determine: 1) Tell me the difference between honing and sharpening. If he/she tells you they are the same thing, find someone else. 2) Tell me about the different types of steel used in China versus Japan versus Germany. If she/he doesn't tell you to avoid Chinese knives, find someone else.) Feel the knife in your hand and be prepared to pay $50 and up for a good knife. Do not get convinced to buy a complete set for $59.99. Buy one knife at a time (and a honing steel as well with the first knife). My own suggestion for an order to buy knives if you cannot buy all at one time:
    1) An 8" Santoku
    2) a paring knife
    3) a boning knife
    4) a 10" chef's knife
    5) a serrated slicer
    6) a cleaver
    There are other knives that you might like as well. I have a vegetable slicer that I never use now. However, you might think it is better than a serrated slicer.

Then take good care of your knives.
    1) Keep them where the blades do not touch. A knife block is nice but if you must keep them in a drawer, keep blade guards on.
    2) When done, wash with warm water, dry and put back up. Do NOT ever put a knife in the dishwasher or even put it away wet to dry in a dish rack.
    3) Use the steel to keep the edge on your knives.
    4) Once a year (or when you notice that the steel is not getting it sharp) have your knives professionally sharpened. Typically, trying to do this yourself, results in a ruined knife. Some knives come with a lifetime guarantee. Return it to them and they will sharpen it. If so, take advantage of it.
    5) Respect your knife. It will make your life easier but it can also cause some serious injuries if not used properly. A sharp knife is - well - sharp. It will cut you as easily as it will cut meat or vegetables.
  • 2EggTim wrote:
    Here is the most bang for your buck. Chef's Knife - Forschner (Victorinox) Fibrox 8-inch, #40520. It'll cost you about $25.00. Boning Knife - Forschner (Victorinox) Fibrox #47513. Cost $17.00. These are really good knives and I feel you can't go wrong with these.

These are the knives I have and they would be great to get you started. Come sharp out of the box and very easy to touch up with a steel or V-type ceramic sharpener.

BTW, these are the knives OJ used. :evil:
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    Susan,

Like the others have said, one of the best values are the Forschner/Victorinox knives.

They have been consistently rated best values by Cooks Illustrated.

They are light, have good handles, stay sharp and are easy to sharpen, when needed. They are pretty inexpensive - hence the best value rating.

I own about 10 different makes and models. Here is a photo of the ones I use the most:

018.jpg

The bread knife can also be used as a tomato knife. I would guess I used the 7" chef's knife the most. At about $20 it's a deal.

John
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I just got a ceramic knife and love it - it is great for veggies.

Walt
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    hey doc...are you by any chance a surgeon? ;):) :laugh:..cuzz I would think a surgeon would be a good reference for knives :)
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Eggtucky wrote:
    hey doc...are you by any chance a surgeon? ;):) :laugh:..cuzz I would think a surgeon would be a good reference for knives :)

Are you kidding...I am an ape that does not have prehensile thumbs. :P I would be terrible using knives. :laugh:
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Todt
    Todt Posts: 46
    Options
    I would recommend Forchner Victrinox also. I have a set that my girlfriend bought me and they are great. They hold an edge and are very sharp. They are also less inexpensive as many of the lesser quality knives out there. I will warn you though if you have been using that knife, use extreme caution when using a SHARP knife. Good luck.
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help! Looks like I have some shopping to do. :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    make sure to hold a global deba in your hand, its lighter than most but its single bevel design makes it sharper than most. its a great vegatable knife and does a great job as a chef knife as well. this is an extremely sharp knife thats practicle for alot of uses, the con side is it doesnt cut straight thru large things like a head of cabbage. it will cut a hundred paper thin slices out of half an onion. some like a heavey knife, i would rather have this one with a thin single bevel for most prep work, especially with vegetables. they come right and left handed, you would want the bevel facing out when you hold the knife. as a side note, dont use a steel with japanese single bevel knifes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Friend's daughter just got married and her mom wanted us to get her a real good knife. She is tiny with tiny hands. Got her this:

GL-GS-14 - Global 6 in. Serrated Utility Knife

http://www.metrokitchen.com/product/GL-GS-14
    That's also what I used when returning to school a few years ago and hubby helped set up apartment with friend. Good, all purpose slicing and dicing knife. Great for veggies and fruits.
  • blackgrass
    Options
    I got a Global for X-mas and very happy with it so far. It's the G-16 10: chef knife. I debated back and forth between the 8" and 10" and finally went with the 10". I'm glad I did...I like the little extra length and think it helps me be a bit more precise with my slicing.